It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using execution variables in keywords

Patrick Paquette (371219) | asked Jul 18 '13, 4:29 p.m.
retagged Jul 23 '13, 2:56 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)

This isn't working as I expected

Make a Manual test script, and create a new execution variable, call it "test", with a value of "1".

Add a test step that uses the execution variable.

Add another test step that uses the execution variable.

Select the second step and create a keyword from it, and replace the contents with the keyword when prompted.

Execute the test case.

The first step has the value '1' replaced, the second step (inside the keyword), does not, and looks like a button with 'test' (attached)

The documentation states that it's supposed to inherit the scripts...section Rational Quality Manager-->Testing-->Developing Test Cases,Test Suites and Test Script -->Developing Manual test Script-->Execution Variable overview  and particularly the Note: found in the same section under "Using execution variables in manual tests"

We're on version 4.0.3

Comments
Patrick Paquette commented Jul 19 '13, 12:28 p.m.

Ummm...ok, nevermind.  It seems that when I actually navigate to step 2, it replaces it.

One answer

permanent link
Patrick Paquette (371219) | answered Jul 19 '13, 12:30 p.m.
edited Jul 19 '13, 12:35 p.m.

Ok...kind of weird behaviour, but it does actually work when you navigate to the next step in the execution.   In fact, it's not even dependent on if it's in a keyword or not - execution variables expand only when you get to the step in the execution, I guess because it could change with a "set execution variable" step.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.