It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Risk of Changing Process Configuration Source RTC 3.0

John Bryan Sazon (341823) | asked Jul 17 '13, 10:30 p.m.
 Hi,

I will edit one Attribute ID in the Process Configuration Source. IBM support takes so long to answer us of what might be the risk. What could be the risk of this action?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 18 '13, 12:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In general, you should never change the ID of any item, attribute or presentation element if there might be existing work items that use it.  For a good description of what kind of changes to the Process Configuration are safe and what are not, see article https://jazz.net/library/article/1002

Comments
John Bryan Sazon commented Jul 18 '13, 1:15 a.m.
Thank Geoffrey!

There was an issue with a custom attribute in our project area and the only solution is to change its attribute id. The reason was it has a duplicate ID with a default attribute. This bug was generated on our RTC 2.0 and was migrated to RTC 3.0

The problem it generate is when we query that custom attribute, nothing is displayed. 

And after looking at the saved query the condition changed to the default attribute.

The procedure is:
1. Change the attribute id on Process configuration source.
2. Update the work item editor presentation. add/remove -> save.

This was tested on a sample project area and I see no problems but I just want to be sure that I'm not missing on something.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 19 '13, 3:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, if you are fixing a problem like that, then that sounds like your best (and perhaps only) approach.   The system should prevent you from saving an attribute definition if the id of that attribute is already in use.   Is this something you can recreate?   If so, it would be good to document how it happened, and file it as a bug.

John Bryan Sazon commented Aug 16 '13, 4:16 a.m.

Yes it was documented and we filed it as a bug and what I have mentioned above is the fix. However they have not answered what is the worst case that can happen if we implement this. A backup of project area process template can rollback the changes right?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.