It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using a component that has been deleted

David Ward (8311214) | asked Jul 17 '13, 7:57 a.m.
RTC 4.0.0.2

I have a component that has been removed from all workspaces.

I now want to create a new workspace and add the (previously deleted) component to it.

In the workspace editor, pressing the "Add" button will find the component in an existing workspace, but I haven't found a way to add a component that isn't presently part of another workspace.

P.S.  I suppose a followup question is: Can I completely remove a component from RTC ..i.e. as if the component never existed.  

2 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jul 17 '13, 9:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can never delete a component to an irrecoverable point. In fact, there are users that request this feature. When you removed the component from the other workspaces, baselines were automatically created to save the component's configuration. To add the component to a workspace, you would want to select adding a component baseline instead of from an existing workspace.

If none of the baselines describe the configuration that you want then that's OK. It's likely nobody thought to baseline that configuration. In that case, add a component baseline that is closest to what you want and discard/accept change sets to get the component to the configuration you desire.

Comments
David Ward commented Jul 17 '13, 9:43 a.m.

Thanks Tim

We really want the deleted component with all of its baselines and history re-added to a new workspace.  It not a big problem for us since we can recreate the entire component from scratch (using the SVN importer).

This seems like a good candidate for an enhancement request.

Tim Mok commented Jul 17 '13, 9:46 a.m. | edited Jul 17 '13, 9:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The component is not deleted because you can't delete a component. It's the component's configuration from when you removed it from a workspace. When you removed it from the workspace, the configuration was automatically baselined. When you add a component to a workspace, select that you want to add a component baseline and find that baseline in the list.

David Ward commented Jul 17 '13, 11:15 a.m.
Yes, I understand that the component cannot be 'actually' deleted.  But since it can't be deleted,  it seems reasonable that RTC should enable users to add it back to a new workspace ... with all of its baselines.

I was referring to the need for an enhancement to allow the addition of all the deleted component's baseline's to a workspace.

As a sidebar, I believe there's already an enhancement request to allow the true 'deletion' of a component.   

Tim Mok commented Jul 17 '13, 11:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I recall there being a work item requesting a way to make it easier to undo a component deletion but I can't find it. Or maybe I'm mistaken and you could request it.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding all the component's baselines to a workspace. That could potentially be a lot of baselines and what I think really matters is you end up with all the change sets that you need. If a baseline describes that, you don't need the other baselines. The baselines exist in the repository and if you need to switch to it then do so. I don't really see a need to have a baseline in your workspace if it's not your latest one.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 17 '13, 2:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Using RTC-4.0.3 Eclipse client, when I am in the workspace editor, and select "Add ..." in the Components section, I get 3 choices: Component Baseline, Component in another Workspace or Stream, and Component from a Snapshot.
The first choice lets you pick any component in the repository (including ones that are not in any stream or workspace).
But note that you cannot select a component for which you do not have read-access (if you don't have read access, you do not see it at all).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.