It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does the RTC plan view determine which iterations to present as selections in the "Plan For" context menu?

Brian Fleming (1.6k11928) | asked Jul 16 '13, 5:15 p.m.
In a plan you can select one or more work items and from the context menu select "Plan For".  What is the algorithm to determine which iterations appear for selection?

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 16 '13, 5:20 p.m.
it should be the iterations in the plans containing timeline that are later in time than the current iteration. (and backlog)

Comments
Brian Fleming commented Jul 17 '13, 11:07 a.m.

I believe this is true if there are 6 or less iterations that meet the criteria in Sam's answer.  In my testing, I see a max of 6 iterations plus the backlog iteration initially displayed for selection.  I'd like to understand the logic to determine which 6 iterations are displayed.

Jia Jia Li commented Jul 17 '13, 11:39 a.m.

What version do you use? In my RTC 403, it display all 9 iterations in the plan for list, I test in Web client.

Brian Fleming commented Jul 17 '13, 12:48 p.m.

I see the same behavior in 4.0.0.1 and 4.0.3.  I am also using the web client.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 17 '13, 12:32 p.m.
using the default set of releases and iterations, I added another later release, iterations and a backlog iteration. so that they appear like this

then looking at one of the plans, I selected the plan for and get this list

if I select browse, I see this

I created a sub level iteration and it looks like this

but the list in Plan for doesn't change, so, this tells me the algorithm is find all iterations at the same level in the release containing the workitem's current iteration. (or the containing Plan's iteration)

Comments
Brian Fleming commented Jul 17 '13, 12:52 p.m.

Thanks Sam, I appreciate the responses.  In a 3 level hierarchy, if I set the current iteration at the 3rd level, in Plan For I see the parent and the grand parent of the current, 3 siblings of the parent iteration, and one sibling of the grand parent.  What is available does not appear to be affected by the iteration set for the plan (other than scoping the available iterations belonging to the same timeline), but is definitely affected by what iteration is marked as current.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 17 '13, 1:01 p.m.
I agree with your observation. current iterations parent and grandparent and siblings of parent.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.