It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

permission to attach files to work items at wrong level?

Lewis Tsao (2174962) | asked Jul 16 '13, 12:07 p.m.
We try to limit user permissions only to the teams they belong to.

Permissions to perform some of the activities have to be set at the "project level". This is fair enough and only very select few will have Scrum Master privilege at project level.

But why is permission to attach files to work items set at project level? This means we have to add all users as project members. Making team structure, to a certain extent, meaningless (as well as double the amount of work). There can also be process and procedural issues with this.

Permissions to manipulate attachments should be set at team level and not project level.

Comments
Lewis Tsao commented Jul 16 '13, 12:08 p.m.

Oops forgot to mention the "fair enough" activies are to do with timeline and iteration manipulations.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 16 '13, 1:25 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Please consider reading https://jazz.net/library/article/291 and https://jazz.net/library/article/292 because there is some inheritance involved that determines what role you have in which context.

Comments
Lewis Tsao commented Jul 16 '13, 5:28 p.m.

I understand the inheritance. My point is that I do not want to assign roles to users at any higher up in the hierarchy than necessary.

For example, I do not necessarily want members of one team to see anything of another team.

Because of inheritance, a member of a project by inheritance can access stuff from all teams. Which is what I don't want to happen.

So if attachment permission must be specified at project level, then I will have to make users project members. I also have to define a new role just for file attachments if I don't want to give users anymore permissions at project level.

So the question still is whether this permission is at the wrong level?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.