It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

QueryBuilder: how to build a query that checks for the value of an attribute of all of the children

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Jul 14 '13, 9:57 p.m.
I am trying to build a query that looks at a specific attribute in all of the children.  For example:

Query all "Story" work items that does not have at least one child work item that contains a certain string in the summary.  For example, if we preface our documentation work with "ID:" in the summary, we are looking for Stories that are missing a child task to update the documentation.

I've tried Type is Story & Children>Summary does not contain ID:
but that seems to show me those where EVERY child summary does not contain ID:, not a story that doesn't contain ANY child summary with ID:

Thanks
Susan

2 answers

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jul 15 '13, 3:23 a.m.
If I understood your concern correctly, you probably have to add another condition like "AND Children>Type is Story" to get only Child Stories listed in the result.

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jul 15 '13, 4:03 a.m.

my child type's are Tasks, but adding and Children>Type = Task doesn't help.  It basically brings back every story because every story has at least 1 task that is NOT an ID task, and I want it to bring me stories that have child tasks but that doesn't have at least one child.

For example:
Story 1
    Task 1  Summary = Update this
    Task2   Summary = Update that
     Task 3 Summary = ID: doc it all

So this Story 1 has 3 children and 1 of them says "ID:"
but if I have Story 2 that only has Task 1 and Task 2, then I have a story that has children and at least 1 child does NOT have ID: in the summary.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 15 '13, 3:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't believe that is possible today. I have tried to do questions such as "For All children(State=closed)" but I was not very successful.I don't think the query engine today has this kind of operator. I think the queries I came up with always returned elements that had at least one child that was qualified for the condition.

Guido has filed this enhancement request: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=229817

There are several more you probably want to add your interest.

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jul 15 '13, 4:08 a.m.

Thanks, I"ve added myself as a subscriber.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 15 '13, 4:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

please add a comment that you struggle with the same issues, to give it more attention.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.