It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing RTC Client on existing Eclipse 3.4.1

Thomas Loeber (62237750) | asked Jan 06 '09, 7:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm trying to install the RTC 1.0.1 client on an existing Eclipse 3.4.1 IDE instance. The install manager fails with an error indicating
Some features and bundles of your existing Eclipse installation need to be upgraded with newer versions or are missing. You must update your existing Eclipse using its Install/Update manager. Use its "Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install..." menu item to invoke its Install/Update manager. Alternatively, you can download the features and bundles from eclipse.org. Feature "com.ibm.ccl.welcome.bits.feature_7.0.3.v20070606-0929-77-27w3118211201_55" needs to be updated to version "7.0.5.v20080508-1335-77-47w3119161902445"
Bundle "com.ibm.ccl.welcome.bits_7.0.3.v20071001-0944" needs to be updated to version "7.0.5.v20080508-1334"

Trying the Eclipse Update Manager to update the existing configuration yields a message that indicates there is nothing to update.

This Eclipse instance has the Rational ClearCase Remote Client for Eclipse 7.1 installed.
Has anyone been able to install RTC 1.0.1 within an existing Eclipse 3.4.1 with CCRC V7.1 also installed?

14 answers

permanent link
George Harley (21) | answered Feb 20 '09, 11:38 a.m.
Hi,

I too have been unsuccessful with installing RTC 1.0.1 into an existing Eclipse 3.4.1 (classic). The install manager informed me that...

Offering cannot be installed into this existing Eclipse installation configuration because it would invalidate existing bundle constraints
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.edit_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "

Does anyone know if there is a way around this ?

Thanks,
George

permanent link
John Ryding (26) | answered Feb 23 '09, 2:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
I believe that RTC 1.0.1 is built on top of Eclipse 3.3

This is a problem for installing it onto an Eclipse 3.4 install because 3.4 uses a completely different way to install and update plugins, called p2.

Any plugin made for eclipse 3.3 that has not been developed to handle this change is not forward compatible with eclipse 3.4.

permanent link
George Harley (21) | answered Feb 23 '09, 3:39 p.m.
Hi John,

Thanks for the response. So it sounds like I am beat for RTC 1.0.1 then. Is there an RTC 1.1 (or whatever) code branch in SCM being developed for use with Eclipse 3.4 or higher that is available for downloading, building and hopefully installing ? Happy to participate in any early adopter program that may exist for just that purpose.

Best regards,
George

This is a problem for installing it onto an Eclipse 3.4 install because 3.4 uses a completely different way to install and update plugins, called p2.

Any plugin made for eclipse 3.3 that has not been developed to handle this change is not forward compatible with eclipse 3.4.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 23 '09, 5:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

Thanks for the response. So it sounds like I am beat for RTC 1.0.1 then. Is there an RTC 1.1 (or whatever) code branch in SCM being developed for use with Eclipse 3.4 or higher that is available for downloading, building and hopefully installing ? Happy to participate in any early adopter program that may exist for just that purpose.

Best regards,
George

Hi George

Try the Downloads page and check the 2.0 Milestone. I can't see info on these pages that state which version of Eclipse is being used, but looking at the work items - it looks like 2.0 will be on 3.4. RTC 1.0.1.1 RC0 may even work, but again. can't tell without downloading.

Also - see if your problem is similar to https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=60439. There is some discussion on this about how to work around this that may help.

anthony

permanent link
George Harley (21) | answered Feb 24 '09, 5:21 a.m.
Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for pointing me at the 2.0 milestone link which I had completely missed on the downloads page. Just tried it now (Install Manager version) and alas, it also failed to install into the existing Eclipse 3.4.1 with the same error message about EMF bundle constraints not being satisfied.

The 2.0 milestone is a almost a month old now so perhaps the next one will be the one. In the meantime I will open up a bug report on this matter in the unlikely event that one does not already exist.

Separately, from what I can tell, the defect you're referring to seems to relate to the Eclipse 3.4 for Java developers (which does not contain PDE - the absence of which is the apparent cause of the problem) whereas I am using Eclipse 3.4.1 classic which does contain PDE.

Best regards,
George

permanent link
John Ryding (26) | answered Feb 24 '09, 11:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
I am running 2.0 right now from the Jazz download site and the plugin details ( Help > About RTC ), shows that the Eclipse base is using 3.3 as well.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 24 '09, 1:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for pointing me at the 2.0 milestone link which I had completely missed on the downloads page. Just tried it now (Install Manager version) and alas, it also failed to install into the existing Eclipse 3.4.1 with the same error message about EMF bundle constraints not being satisfied.

The 2.0 milestone is a almost a month old now so perhaps the next one will be the one. In the meantime I will open up a bug report on this matter in the unlikely event that one does not already exist.

Separately, from what I can tell, the defect you're referring to seems to relate to the Eclipse 3.4 for Java developers (which does not contain PDE - the absence of which is the apparent cause of the problem) whereas I am using Eclipse 3.4.1 classic which does contain PDE.

Best regards,
George

Oh - bother. I was hoping this would be on 3.4 already. Ok - let's see if someone from the RTC dev team can help.

anthony

permanent link
Sergey Elin (2611) | answered Feb 25 '09, 2:21 a.m.
It works fine on clean 3.4.1 from eclipse.org, tested both windows and linux version with ganymede jee.

permanent link
Mervyn Keene (171177) | answered Feb 25 '09, 1:17 p.m.
george wrote:
Hi,

I too have been unsuccessful with installing RTC 1.0.1 into an
existing Eclipse 3.4.1 (classic). The install manager informed me
that...

I got this working recently (with help). The technique is a little
manual but a valuable addition to anyone's Eclipse toolkit.

Unzip the RTC zip version to a permanent location. Navigate into
jazz/client/eclipse/links. Copy all the *.link files found there. Then
navigate to your existing Ganymede (or newer) installation. It will have
a subdirectory called "dropins" (the key point here is that "dropins" is
the 3.4+ replacement for "links" in previous releases AIUI). Paste the
files you copied into the dropins folder.

Last step - you must laboriously modify the *.link files to point back
to the appropriate locations within the RTC 'jazz' folder. There are
only 10 or so files, and only one line in each always following the same
pattern, so it's not too bad. Here's the resulting contents of my
dropins folder:

% head *.link
==> build.link <path> dtp.link <path> emf.link <path> foundation.link <path> gef.link <path> reports.link <path> scm.link <path> scmconnectors.link <path> svn.link <path> ua.link <path> workitem.link <==
path=../../jazz/client/eclipse/jazz/workitem

BTW I seem to recall reading that these must be forward slashes (/) even
on Windows. Certainly forward slashes work; I did not try backslashes.

Of course you want to do this when Eclipse is not running. They say you
may need to run Eclipse with the -clean flag the first time to make it
find the new plugins but that geneally hasn't been necessary for me.

One nice thing about this is that you should be able to upgrade quickly
and easily by simply swapping the 'jazz' folder with a newer one (again,
not while Eclipse is running). But note that I haven't tried that yet.
Be aware that the set of link files might change with releases.

MK

permanent link
George Harley (21) | answered Mar 29 '09, 2:17 p.m.

I got this working recently (with help). The technique is a little
manual but a valuable addition to anyone's Eclipse toolkit...

Hi Mervyn,

For various reasons it took me a while to get back to this topic (I know, I know, what's more important than Jazz? :wink ). So let me offer you now my belated, but very sincere, thanks for your post!

After following your tip things worked out absolutely fine with Eclipse 3.4.1 (classic) and RTC 1.0.

Best regards,
George

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.