It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why is extracted data from BIRT suddenly patchy?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Jul 09 '13, 9:59 a.m.
Hello,

I have an RTC 3.0.1 installation and I am having strange issues with BIRT reporting.  Up until yesterday I had a report that extracted data for my work items without problems, but today there are holes in it.  I have no explanation for it..

For a random set of work items the data being extracted for custom attributes is blank.  The built-in fields like id, summary, and state are ok, but the custom attributes are blank.  When opening the work items in the CCM interface there are no holes in the data, and querying them is fine as well.

The work items for which the report does not extract data have nothing in common, and some were not modified recently.

The application reporting is based on Data Mart and not Data Warehouse and when I run the collection jobs it seems to finish instantly.

Is there a way to rebuild the snapshot data?

Regards,

Andrew

Comments
Clement Liu commented Jul 09 '13, 4:36 p.m.

Have you tried connecting to the database directly and see if the data is there in the tables that your report uses? 

Andrew Trobec commented Jul 10 '13, 4:14 a.m.

@clementliu

Hello Clement,

Thank you for your reply.  The report extracts data from the WORKITEMS snapshot, and when I interrogate the database for the data that doesn't appear in the report, it is found in the [WORKITEMS_SNAPSHOT].[WC_STRING_EXT].[VAL] column where I expect it to be.

Regards,

Andrew

One answer

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | answered Jul 10 '13, 6:33 a.m.
edited Jul 17 '13, 10:51 a.m.
Hello Again,

Just an update.  I have not managed to solve the issue but I have managed to rule out some potential problems.

- it is not a database issue since work item data is loaded via web and with queries, and I can access the data directly via DB
- it is not a snapshot issue because i can retrieve the data in BIRT using data set or report preview

I have created a simple report that successfully extracts the custom attribute data for the work items that fail via browser.  When I load the report in RTC and access via web, that same data is not retrieved.  There seems to be some disalignment between BIRT and RTC reports.  I still find it confusing since the data stopped populating from one day to the next.  New work items load without issues.

I am exploring options of re-generating the data associated to the LIVE and WORKITEM snapshots in the Data Mart.  Any advice on doing so?

Regards,

Andrew

EDIT: I noticed that the reporting services used by BIRT preview and RTC web are different:

BIRT Preview: com.ibm.team.reports.service.oda.internal.ODAService.fetchReportData
RTC Web: com.ibm.team.reports.service.internal.ReportRestService.postRenderReport

How do these services access the reporting snapshots differently?  What would cause some data to be lost and is it possible to rebuild it?

EDIT2: When I access one of the records that is missing data in the report via the REST API using my browser, all data shows up.  The REST call is

https://<server>:9443/ccm/rpt/repository/workitem?fields=workitem/workItem[projectArea/name="<project area" and id="<work item ID>"]/(projectArea/name|type/name|id|summary|description|owner/name|state/name|comments/content|allExtensions/(key|type|booleanValue|integerValue|longValue|doubleValue|smallStringValue|mediumStringValue|largeStringValue|timestampValue|decimalValue))

and returns all data associated with the work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.