It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can RTC compare *.docx file using word compare?

Jia Jia Li (8057152192) | asked Jul 09 '13, 7:38 a.m.
edited Oct 03 '13, 9:54 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103)
I can compare *.doc file as word compare, but when compare *.docx, the compare tool show as binary compare, it is not readable. 
Anyone know could RTC compare *.docx file using word compare?

5 answers

permanent link
Alex Akilov (1211724) | answered Jan 19 '15, 12:53 p.m.
 On Eclipse 3.6, you can add the .docx content type manually to the Word Document type that Geoff indicated above (i.e. duplicate the way Eclipse 4.2 is configured out of the box).

permanent link
Andreas Osterberg (11) | answered Oct 15 '14, 10:28 a.m.
 We use Eclipse 3.6 and face the same problem when diff'ing docx files. Hex dump is presented in Eclipse. We use instead the RTC 4.0.7 Windows Explorer Shell Integration and configure BeyondCompare to handle the diff. Beyond Compare extracts text from word documents and presents a diff window in for the text.

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Oct 03 '13, 9:54 a.m.
edited Oct 03 '13, 10:03 a.m.
Hi Jia,
It seems to be available since Eclipse 3.7 and 4.2: This is Eclipse defect implementing this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=343241

Let us know if it helps you.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 10 '13, 5:52 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you say "RTC compare", which RTC client are you referring to?
If you are referring to the Eclipse client, this is actually an Eclipse question, rather than an RTC question (RTC by default invokes whatever is declared for the Eclipse compare machinery).
To see what file types will invoke the Eclipse word compare machinery, go to your General->Content_Types preference page, and see what file types are under "Word Document".   In my Eclipse 4.2 client, I see both "*.doc" and "*.docx", and files of either type compare properly for me (i.e. use the Word compare machinery) when I invoke the RTC "compare" operation on two different versions.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 09 '13, 7:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of any automation that would do this. As far as I can tell these files are treated with binaries. You should lock the file on the stream if you want to edit it. That is the model my team uses.
If you find an external compare tool that you can use with RTC you might have a chance.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.