It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SVN importer and partial baselines

David Ward (8311214) | asked Jul 08 '13, 10:42 a.m.
Using RTC 4.0.0.2

I've imported the trunk from my SVN repository and requested that baselines be created for the SVN tags on the trunk.  The baselines created by the RTC importer have the word "partial" in their name.

When I checkout and compare the latest RTC component against the latest SVN trunk everything matches (except for EOL problems that I addressed using a changeset). 

However, if I compare one of the RTC created 'partial' baselines against the associated SVN tag, they don't match exactly, which I suppose is why those baselines are marked "partial".

After reading article https://jazz.net/library/article/650 I see that I must re-import the tags to 'complete' the RTC baselines, but I wasn't sure exactly how to do that.

What steps should I follow to resolve these 'partial' baselines and make them exactly match their SVN counterparts ?

Thanks
Dave

One answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jul 08 '13, 2:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Correct, you have to perform subsequent imports for the branches and tags that you want to import.

https://jazz.net/library/article/650#Importing_trunk_and_branches_fro Perform the import for the tag just the same as you would with a branch.

Comments
David Ward commented Jul 08 '13, 10:37 p.m.

Ok so just to be clear.

I create a workspace containing the trunk baseline that I'm interested in.  Then I re-import the SVN trunk again ? or the SVN tags/<tagname> ?

Dave

David Ward commented Jul 08 '13, 10:40 p.m.

One more question ..

I have about 10 tags on the trunk .. does this mean that I'll end up with 10 workspaces, one for each baseline/tag ?

Will I ever use the baselines in the originally imported workspace ?

Tim Mok commented Jul 09 '13, 8:52 a.m. | edited Jul 09 '13, 8:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The baseline marks the beginning of the branch/tag. Anything that happens in the branch or tag after the baseline has to be imported. I believe the default import options creates a baseline after the import. That will represent the end point of the branch/tag.

Yes, you import for each baseline and select the branch/tag folder instead of trunk. You could use the same workspace for each import but it might help organize things if you use different workspaces. Workspaces and streams are lightweight so don't worry about creating a lot of them.

Ideally, you would create a stream for each branch/tag after the import. Then it'll be easy for other developers to access them and collaborate with the rest of the team.

David Ward commented Jul 09 '13, 10:17 a.m.

Ok thanks .. I'll try the tag import later today.

I just realized however that the RTC component folder structure has a top-level folder called "trunk" .. apparently because I took defaults during the import of the SVN trunk. This wouldn't be a good choice when you must do subsequent imports from the SVN tags and branches folders.

I've asked another question about how to choose my own top-level folder that can remain constant for all imports.

David Ward commented Jul 09 '13, 3:59 p.m.

Ok I've confirmed that (for at least one of my baselines) the 2nd import corrects the previous mismatches.  The baseline now compares accurately with its matching SVN tag.   (minus the continual EOL problems)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.