It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there an option to bulk update a custom attribute value in RTC 4.0.1

Rajat Singh (59833545) | asked Jul 05 '13, 6:56 a.m.

Hi Team

We have created a custom attribute in RTC 4.0.1.
This attribute has two options in the dropdown (Option 1 and Option 2).

The requirement is to change the attribute value from Option 1 to Option 2.
Though this can be done manually by going to each workitem and changing the value; I am looking for a bulk update option as there are 1000+ workitems to be updated.

Kindly let me know if there is any option to cater this?

Best Regards
Rajat

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 05 '13, 7:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
First Option would be to run Synchronize attributes. It can be done from the UI or using the API http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/using-an-expression-to-synchronize-attributes-for-work-items-of-a-specific-type/ . There is a query limit that could get into the way. You can avoid it by changing the property as described or modify your items using the API similar to synchronizing the attributes and adding code like here: http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/working-with-work-item-attributes/ . 

Comments
Rajat Singh commented Jul 05 '13, 9:09 a.m.

Thanks for the response Ralph!! However, my query is more on synchronizing the value in the attribute. Do we need to follow the sam steps?

We have an attribute named as 'Section'. Section has two possible values: Section 1 and Section 2.

We have created 1500 workitems with value as section 1.
However, we now need to change the value of 'section' of most of these workitems to Section 2.

We are currently doing it manually by opening each workitem and changing the value to 'Section 2' and saving the workitem.

However, this being tedious, is there any way we select all these workitems and update them all to 'Section 2'.

Best Regards
Rajat

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 05 '13, 10:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If the attribute is at all work items you don't have to synchronize attributes. If it is not and you want it at work items that don't have it, you do.
You might not have to use the API for updating the value.

In any case,I would

• check the query result limit and set it to a value above your threshold if necessary
  • Run a query for the attributes you want to change and check if the bulk update in the Web UI (or the Eclipse UI) allows you to set the attribute. If it does, that would be the easiest way.
Important is to avoid missing items due to the query result size limit (in the CCM server advanced attributes).

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jul 05 '13, 7:46 a.m.
Hi Rajat, it looks like this is a defect and will be fixed in 4.0.4
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/267725

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.