It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Bug? RTC allows adding an unresolved child to a resolved parent.

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Jun 29 '13, 9:55 a.m.
We have configured the Operational Behavior  for Save Work Item for "All Children resolved which says that "Requires that a work item can only be resolved if all of its children are resolved."  And for the most part, it works great ...
- does not allow a parent to close with unresolved children
- can't do *anything* with a child that happens to have a resolved parent (for example, if the parent was resolved prior to having the rule added).

However, we have found a place where RTC allows a change that directly violates this.

If I have a Resolved work item, it seems that (in 4.0.0.1), I can ADD a link that would make a parent-child relationship so that the resolved work item PARENT now has an unresolved child.  This should be not allowed because it puts these two work items into the specific scenario that is restricted by the pre-condition.

I believe this is a bug.  Is this a known bug that there is a fix available for? 
Susan

Comments
Clement Liu commented Jun 29 '13, 10:36 a.m. | edited Jul 01 '13, 9:45 a.m.

Hi Susan,

Looks like this was fixed in 2.0.0.1. 
Did you click on the "Save" button on the parent WI after adding a unresolved child? Did you see an error message like Can''t save work item ''{0}'' because an unresolved work item cannot be added to a resolved parent work item ''{1}''?

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Susan Hanson commented Jun 29 '13, 10:48 p.m.

In fact .... I was mistaken in my original post.  It is actually that RTC is allowing a Resolved CHILD to be added to an already Resolved PARENT, which in the case of this rule, would be okay.

We have a "review" requirement for our Story work items so only a handful of people can mark a Story resolved, after a final review of several things.  In this case, by them adding additional children to a Story which has already been resolved, this allows the story review to potentially "miss" something that if all children would have been there when the Story was originally reviewed, it would not have.

I suspect there is nothing built-in to RTC to allow us to say you cannot add children  period (regardless of state of the child) to a resolved parent??

Susan

Clement Liu commented Jun 30 '13, 9:10 a.m.

Right, that has to be a custom development of server plug-in. 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 01 '13, 7:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes it would be a save work item advisor. You can probably the code from this follow up action to implement your use case: http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ please be aware that the code is for a participant/follow up action, you want an advisor. So you will have to implement a different interface, but the rest of the code is largely reusable.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.