It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is the RTC work item attribute Release only used for the Found In field?

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked Jun 27 '13, 1:18 p.m.

Is the RTC work item attribute Release only used for the Found In field?  What else is it used for?

Is the Release attribute only intended to document the release a work item was "Found In"?  If not, what else is the Release attribute intended for?

We certainly have a need (as I'm sure most do) to document which software release introduced a defect and which release will deploy the fix.  Is this what the Found In and Planned For fields are intended for?

We would like to use the RTC product as close to it's intended design as possible while still meeting our specific needs.

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 27 '13, 1:47 p.m.
I think the Release artifact table is too weak to represent the full set of demands of Found In,
Target Release and Delivered In release, AND contain data about what that thing is (product, fix, ...) for the rest of SDLC.

I was designing a new workitem type, and changing the existing workitems to reference it.
(with Workitem and WorkItemList type fields to replace Found In.

Planned for is a development timeline concept, and doesn't represent anything about the deliverable built from the work. In Agile the concept of deliverable at the end of the sprint still doesn't completely articulate all the metadata and workflow requirements of the delivery phase.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 27 '13, 1:55 p.m.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I was originally led to believe that the combination of Found In and Planned For was intended (at least in part) to meet the needs of the SDLC along the lines you were speaking of.

See https://jazz.net/forum/questions/117909/which-rtc-work-item-attributes-are-used-for-a-projects-timeline-iterations-and-various-planned-for-and-release-values for more on that.

sam detweiler commented Jun 27 '13, 2:39 p.m.

I also know what was 'intended', but in practice its not functional.

in my prior company we had hundreds of products, with dozens of releases in the field, with new releases being developed and developers working concurrently on content that appeared in both a new release stream and a maintenance stream (sometimes multiple concurrently).

the release table doesn't understand product, maint distribution, hot fix, module replace, On premise, SaaS, build, and an ever dizzying array of deliverables.
and it doesn't support any approvals, or workflow or.. I could go on and on.

if you need ANOTHER workitem to document all that, why not make it just ONE,
and have it all data driven.  the current 'found in' and 'planned for' are singletons. my prior experience says that is not enough.

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered Jun 27 '13, 1:31 p.m.
We create a release name from our build results.  I believe if you would would like to use a field that references future releases, you would be better off using an enumeration field. 

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 27 '13, 1:52 p.m.

Thanks for the answer.  I must admit that I'm a bit confused.  Another IBM person had originally suggested a while back that Planned For was intended (at least in part) to specify the iteration an item is planned for.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.