It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Which RTC work item attributes are used for a project's timeline iterations and various "Planned For" and "Release" values?

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked Jun 27 '13, 1:11 p.m.

If I understand correctly, "Planned For" is intended to be a project's timeline iterations.  So if I'm using a fairly out of the box configured project, I have a timeline and iteration breakdown that looks something like this.

Release 1.0

...Requirements

...Design

...Implementation

...Testing

When I change the "Planned For" on one of my work items, the history shows this:

Planned For:  Release 1.0/Testing  →  Release 1.0

Are "Release 1.0/Testing" and "Release 1.0" both storred in the same field?  Is there any distinction between them?  How can I access the distinction?

The reason I ask is I would like to be able to define an iteration breakdown under Release 1.0 but query some field to identify which release a work item it marked for.  In other words, even if a work item is Planned for "Testing", I want to be able to run a query that will tell me that the work item is designated for "Release 1.0" regardless of the specific iteration breakdown the work item is assigned to.

Also, is there any functional relationship between the Planned For and Release attributes?

Ultimately I need to query this field via the RTC work item reportable REST API.  I am currently getting the Planned For value from the REST API target/name field.  But I'm willing to change to a different field to get this information.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 28 '13, 2:54 p.m.

Can anyone help answer this question?

2 answers

permanent link
Dejan Custic (2855) | answered Jun 28 '13, 5:12 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For reference, this article has a supported attribute types table https://jazz.net/library/article/1003/#customattributes

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Jun 28 '13, 3:10 p.m.
edited Jun 28 '13, 3:19 p.m.
Hi Mike,
You have to select all sub-values under Release 1.0 in your query in order to be able to pull everything for Release 1.0. I would create a individual field for "Requirements", "Design" and etc to get you what you needed. 

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 28 '13, 3:31 p.m.

Thanks for responding.  Can you help me understand the data structure a little better?  It seems that RTC understands what the top level iteration breakdown is and what the lower level iteration breakdowns are.  So if a work item has a particular Planned For value (which is of type "iteration") and it happens to be a lower level iteration, how would I find out the name of the top level iteration?

Clement Liu commented Jun 28 '13, 3:36 p.m.

If I understood your question correctly, through naming standard... this is what our timelines look like:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.