It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to share customized work items between projects?

Sean Lee-Loy (1941315) | asked Jun 25 '13, 12:00 p.m.
retagged Jun 28 '13, 6:53 p.m. by David Walker (2264)
Is it possible to share customized work items between projects? 
Case scenario:
I have a Project A in which we created a customized Work Item type called "TD Request"
In Project Area Administration I allowed the process configuration to be shared across other projects
I then have Project B which in the administration I checked the box use another process configuration in this project so I selected Project A. 

In the QM Area of Project B  I create a testcase and in the "Development Items" tab.
I try to create a new work item.  

I'm expecting to see "TD Request" but I do not see it,  but I see the standard "Defect","Task", "Build Record" but not the custom work item type.  also I have no way of linking an existing work item  via Development item window (TD Request) as the Project drop down box is greyed out and is defaulted to Project B.

Regards,

Accepted answer

permanent link
Neal McKegney (551422) | answered Jun 25 '13, 12:41 p.m.
Am I correct that you're talking about three project areas here?

#1: RTC Project Area A, which has the TD Request work item and is sharing its process
#2: RTC Project Area B, which is using the process from Project Area A
#3: RQM Project Area B, which is part of a lifecycle project with Project Area B

If that's the case, was Project Area B configured with its own process prior to it being changed to using the process from Project Area A?  The Process from B might be overruling what you added to A.  Make sure you check 'Final (ignore customizations of this data in child project areas)' in the Process Configuration for work item types.

For your second question, i believe in RQM the development items have to be part of the lifecycle project.  That's why you're not able to select the Project Area from the drop down.
Sean Lee-Loy selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean Lee-Loy commented Jun 25 '13, 2:08 p.m.

Thanks Neal,

Clicking on the check box 'Final' did it, I had to do it for all categories under Work Items i.e. Enumerations, Workflow, Editor Presentations, etc..

For the 2nd part it doesn't have to be part of the lifecycle project. i.e. didn't have to add the container from Project A into Project B

2 other answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 25 '13, 12:42 p.m.
In project B, when in time did you select 'Use other project area'? to make this work, you create the project with the empty template (no workitems defined), then USE the other projects Shared process config.

this is for RTC only. I do not know how the other components share (if at all)..

permanent link
David Walker (2264) | answered Jun 28 '13, 6:53 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For more information about allowing or preventing project areas and team areas to override process settings (as Neal mentions above), see Sharing the process of a project area in the Info Center.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.