It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Preserving legacy integration references in ClearQuest when importing CQ Records to RTC?

Ken Uhl (1134) | asked Jun 19 '13, 11:05 a.m.

We are planning an effort to migrate legacy Rational tools *starting* with a conversion of ClearQuest to RTC but leaving ReqPro and ClearCase intact for a period of time (perhaps a lengthy period).  ClearQuest is currently integrated with both ReqPro and ClearCase UCM.  When we import the ClearQuest records, ideally we'd like to convert the ReqPro requirements references as well as the ClearCase change-set information into Jazz bridge-like links in the corresponding RTC work items, thus essentially preserving the existing integrations.  I'm aware of the ClearQuest importer utility within RTC (basic field & workflow mappings) and have seen the Wiki pages and forums supporting that approach, but have not seen where it appears possible to convert these integration references to RTC links.

It does seem like this should be possible, however, if a valid URI can be "constructed" for a ReqPro requirement or a ClearCase version, and then inserted as a "related" link into the newly created work item (perhaps with the cURL utility for API access to RTC).   I was wondering if anyone has tried anything like this -- even if not for this exact purpose, but rather to simply create a URI link to an external resource within an RTC work item.

-Ken

One answer

permanent link
Matthew Alexander (18126) | answered Jun 19 '13, 12:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ken,

You can use the "Work Items from CSV" importer in the RTC client to insert related links while importing. 

You can open the importer by going to File > Import, expand the Team folder, then choose "Work Items from CSV". 

If you then click the "Save Default as.." link, you can save a sample mapping file to your hard drive.  This file shows many possible mappings, including some that will create links.   

In your CSV file of CQ records, you could have a column titled, say, "Link to ReqPro Requirement".  In the mapping file, you would then set a mapping to: 

<attribute sourceId="Link to ReqPro Requirement" targetId="com.ibm.team.workitem.linktype.relatedartifact.relatedArtifact"/>

If the values in your CSV file were a URI to a ReqPro Requirement (http://server/requirement), it would be added as a related artifact link to the work item. 

If you look at the sample mapping file, you can see mappings for other link types besides "related artifact". 

So, I think your approach could be:

1. Export CQ records as CSV (you can do this from the ClearQuest Importer in RTC or from CQ itself).
2. Generate the URIs for your integration and place them in the CSV file (could be tricky...I don't have experience there)
3. Edit the mapping file to map your CSV file to RTC work items, including the mapping for links.
4. Import the CQ records to RTC using the CSV importer.

For reference, here is a link to an article and workshop that help with importing CQ records:  link

Let me know if this answers your question.
Matt

Comments
Ken Uhl commented Jun 19 '13, 3:21 p.m.

Matt,

Thanks -- this looks promising! 

For #2, the "tricky" part you mention, I think I can figure this out by manually setting up some RTC links to existing requirements in our ReqPro repository, then use RPE to report out the "href" values of those created links (or even just "Copy URL" from the GUI).  This should get me the general URI construct to a given requirement, which I could then use to construct similar links to specific ReqPro requirements as found associated with the dumped CQ records.

We'll give this approach a try and let you know how it works out.

Much appreciated!

-Ken

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.