It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is the help documentation correct for Formal Project Planning with Planned Snapshots?

Michael Prentice (622913) | asked Jun 17 '13, 7:04 p.m.
retagged Jun 18 '13, 11:53 a.m. by Amy Laird (16514)
In the following two help files, there seems to be inaccurate information for RTC 4.0.1:

clmhelp/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.apt.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_snapshots.html

"The work item dates that are saved in the Proposed and Planned snapshots are referred to as the Proposed and Planned dates for work items. The dates in the Proposed and Planned snapshots populate the Proposed and Planned start and end date columns in the Schedule Variance view of the plan. The Planned start and end dates for each work item are also displayed in the work item editor."

clmhelp/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.apt.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_save_plan_snapshot.html

"The work item dates that are saved in the Proposed and Planned snapshots are referred to as the Proposed and Planned dates for work items. The dates in the Proposed and Planned snapshots populate the Proposed and Planned start and end date columns in the Schedule Variance view of the plan. The Planned start and end dates for each work item are also displayed in the work item editor."

As far as my team has been able to determine after almost a month of investigation, the Planned Start Date and Planned End Date values are stored only in the Plan (APT table) and not in the work items table. This means that we are unable to query against Planned Start/End Date in our project. Thus the interface and workflow of the Eclipse and VS studio client are broken and we must force our developers to browse around in the Plan views to find their work. In our case, this means that some developers have to check 4 different plans to find their work, instead of running a single query to show all of their work for the next week.

But then when checking these help topics, it claims that "The Planned start and end dates for each work item are also displayed in the work item editor." This is what we've been trying to make work for a long time! But it does not work. The help appears to be wrong unless someone out there has a solution for us?

Thank you.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 18 '13, 6:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 18 '13, 6:23 a.m.
Michael,

for all I know, the planned start and end times as well as the proposed start and end times are, as described above, created and stored using the planned and the proposed plan snapshot. They are stored in the plan and they are only available in Plan UI's. they are especially not surfaced as a work item attribute and can therefore not be provided in queries and the like. You can get these if you export a plan.

This is my current knowledge and I have tried - again - with 4.0.1 to my contentment that this is the case. *Fix to my statement*: as described below there is a non attribute based presentation "Planned Time" available that shows the planned time in the work item editor, if configured. To do so, it pulls the data from the plan snapshot.

Since there is no corresponding attribute and the said presentation needs to dynamically ask the plan for the data, you can not display these derived and calculated values in Work Item Queries or in Not Plan based Dashboards as far as I can tell.
Michael Prentice selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 18 '13, 6:11 a.m.

There are numerous other posts that say this on Jazz.net e.g. some listed as related to the right

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/104979/how-do-i-add-planned-start-date-to-the-list-of-attributes-i-can-use-to-build-a-work-item-query
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/56247/why-rtc-30-wis-planned-dates-arent-displayed-in-queries

I have seen you asking on some more of these questions recently. Some of these answers already provided the information from my answer above too. Sorry, I couldn't answer yesterday.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 18 '13, 6:14 a.m.

I was about to write a work item against documentation and I stopped doing it, because the documentation is correct.

There is a non attribute presentation "Planned Time" available, that shows the planned start and end time in the Work Item editor if the presentation is configured that way (for example like the task and defect in formal planning). However, this does still not make these times available in a work item query or a dasbboard.

Michael Prentice commented Jun 18 '13, 10:27 a.m.

The Documentation does not mention a requirement to do custom configuration for these Planned Times to show up in the Work Item Editor. This should be added to the documentation.

I have added Planned Time to my work item presentations and it does indeed display. This is very helpful! Thank you.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 18 '13, 10:39 a.m.

Michael, please don't hesitate to create a work item in https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWelcome select documentation as filed against.

The presentation is configured by default to the execution items in the formal template. It is not, for Change Requests.

Michael Prentice commented Jun 21 '13, 1:01 p.m.

That is great information. Thank you very much.

One other answer

permanent link
Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512) | answered Jun 19 '13, 3:47 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Michael: I opened an enhancement for you https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=269757 and will add that to the documentation.

Comments
Michael Prentice commented Jun 21 '13, 1:02 p.m.

Great, thank you very much. The info in that WI looks right.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.