It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Flow over ride

Roopin Shah (155) | asked Jun 14 '13, 7:22 a.m.

Hello ,

I have defined a new work flow in RTC, can I set permissions such that a Role in RTC can move Work Items from any state to any State? Just for a Role and other roles should follow the work flow, is that possible?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 14 '13, 11:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I do not believe there is any way to override the defined workflow, so I believe the best you can do currently is to add all possible transitions into the workflow, and then limit those extra transitions to a special role.
Jared Burns selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 14 '13, 10:14 a.m.
Hi Roopin,

you can, by role, set permissions workflow actions. You can define which role can use which action. See Process Configuration>Team Process>Permissions>Work Items>Trigger Workflow Action.

Anyone can only follow the existing actions. If there are none from any state to any state, then you have to use the existing actions and traverse multiple states.

Comments
Roopin Shah commented Jun 14 '13, 10:45 a.m.

Hi Ralph

It allows me to select which states a user can move to, but it does not allow to over-ride the work flow.

For example : work itme should follow a flow - New > InProgress > Resolved

I want to create a new Role that can move move the work item from New > Resolved , by skipping an intermediate state.

Can this be achieved? (RTC version being used is 3.0.1)

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 17 '13, 2:20 a.m.

No.

As I tried to say above, you have to follow the workflow. You can not jump to states if there is no action available. What you want can be achieved by having additional direct actions, that only certain roles have a permission to use.

Roopin Shah commented Jun 21 '13, 8:32 a.m.

Hi Ralph

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, it has worked as as per my requirement :-)

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jun 14 '13, 10:11 a.m.
edited Jun 14 '13, 10:11 a.m.
Hi Roopin, as per my understanding, although restricting the actions based on Roles is possible but what you want is not. The possible reason that, in a workflow, only one action can be configured to move from one particular state to another.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.