It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Modify existing work item after customization

Juan Peraza (312) | asked Jun 12 '13, 9:59 p.m.
Let's assume I modify the Story type work item by adding a new attribute.  After adding the new attribute, I can verify my customization by creating a new Story work item, and enter a value for the new attribute I added.  That's fine for new work items.  My question is how do I enter a value for the new attribute for existing Story work items.  When I open an existing Story work item to edit, the new attribute field is not present to enter a value.  How do I enter a value for the new attribute in Story work items that existed before I added the new attribute to the Story type work item?

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 12 '13, 11:38 p.m.
edited Jun 13 '13, 8:15 a.m.
in eclipse,  list all the old workitems somehow, make sure to display the type column in the results,select 1 or a bunch (up to 1000), right click, synchronize..

this replicates the new schema to all the (selected) existing workitems..
Juan Peraza selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Juan Peraza commented Jun 13 '13, 12:21 a.m.

That worked, thanks so much.  I had done this before, I just couldn't remember what option from the pop-menu to select.  Sychronize... does the trick.

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 13 '13, 12:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I prefer to go to the Process Configuration tab of the project area editor in Eclipse, select the Project_Configuration->Configuration_Data->Work_Items->Types_and_Attributes section, and then select the "Check attributes usages in Repository" button.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 13 '13, 8:17 a.m.

'Check' to me doesn't say DO anything..

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 13 '13, 4:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

One of your choices during the "check" dialog is "add it to all the ones that don't have it".  I agree that the message text could be improved.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.