It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project area templates management principles in RTC

Dmitry A. Lesin (24825996) | asked Jun 12 '13, 1:01 a.m.
edited Jun 12 '13, 1:04 a.m.

Hello!

I think the answer to this question can be useful to many people to correctly understand how project area template management works in RTC.

There's some confusing moment when working with templates for project areas in Rational Team Concert (v4.0.1). Supposed, I create a new project area based on a project area custom template. After that, I make enhancements into the initial template but these enhancements are absent in the related project area. As I can see, the project area holds a copy of the initial template.
OK, no problem. Then I go from another side. I try to export the new template and replace the initial one by new one - I can not do it (because the initial template is linked to an existing project area). I try to remove the initial template - I can not do it too.

And the confusion is in next. Why the project area relates to the initial template although the process definitions in the project area and initial template are different at all? I think it brings some chaos in the process templates management saving the references form project areas to unnecessary and old project area templates with outdated data!

Thank you in advance for help and explanations!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Jun 12 '13, 3:03 a.m.
Hi Dmitry,
I believe that you could start using process sharing: https://jazz.net/library/article/1077/ which will solve at least couple of your problems. This feature is available in both RTC and RQM. You will find more information also here: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.concert.tutorial.doc/topics/tut_project_area_sharing_abstract.html

Let us know if these two articles helps for you.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Kazmierczyk
Dmitry A. Lesin selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jun 12 '13, 2:58 a.m.
To me it seems you want multiple project areas to consume the process configuration from a single process template or project area which with time may change and you don't have to maintain or manage the changes individually in all project areas. If my understanding is correct then you may want to look at 'Process sharing'.
See if the Process Sharing FAQ  addresses your concerns and then you will be able to find multiple documents links in the same document and you can also search in articles and have a look at the Infocenter as well.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.