It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using Burnup charts

John Rufus N (1868) | asked Jun 07 '13, 3:49 a.m.
edited Jun 07 '13, 8:02 a.m.
 Hi All

Can someone let me know if the Burnup widget be used as an equivalent to Earned Value (EV)? 
And where can I find the definitions/descriptions of the lines that are depicted in the Burnup chart? Specifically I want to know about the Linear Complete and Capacity Burnup lines.

Appreciate quick help.

Thanks 
John Rufus N

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jun 10 '13, 7:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,
I found this forum post that explains the lines in the Burnup chart:  https://jazz.net/forum/questions/87722/how-are-burnup-reports-calculated-based-on-which-time
John Rufus N selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
John Rufus N commented Jun 12 '13, 10:25 a.m.

Thanks Lauren. I had found that informative...  

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Jun 12 '13, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You're welcome.

One other answer

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered Jun 11 '13, 5:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Scrum and EV management are two different ways of looking at project management. You might be mixing apples and oranges if you're trying to try to use a Scrum burnup chart to measure Earned Value. 

For one thing, burnups don't show you expenditures, which is important in Earned Value. For another, an EV project needs a rigorous and fairly static estimate of the total cost/effort of a project. Scrum looks backwards at velocity to determine future performance and encourages lots of changes, which makes estimating earned value difficult.

You might be better off using the Release Burndown. This article describes how to use the Release Burndown to do Agile Earned Value  There are probably lots of philosophical arguments to be had as to whether you can really do EV in an Agile project, but there's no room for that here :-).

Comments
John Rufus N commented Jun 12 '13, 10:31 a.m.

Jim, that was an explanation which cleared the air a bit more. 

Thanks much. Appreciate.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.