It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Twins files problem: correlating promotion of files in different component

Taglia Ibm (3535) | asked May 28 '13, 4:09 a.m.
I have files with the same name in different component and I want to be sure that when one is changed the other one in the other component have to be changed either.

E.g. two components Business Layer and Presentation Layer with “twins file”; when I change the business layer file also I have to be sure that the twin Presentation Layer file have to be changed together.

Where I have to impose a validation check:

1. on checkin
  2. on associate workitem
  3. on deliver
  4. forcing a build that checks instead of build, but what have to check
  5. elsewhere?
How to implement it?

Question valid for every platform I’ll use on IBM Enterprise Platforms Enhancements: RTC 4.0.2.
Please ask me if you need more details.

Mauro

One answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered May 28 '13, 10:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It sounds like you've forked your file when you intended the file to share a history and be updated simultaneously for your business and presentation layers. I would recommend moving any shared files between the two layers into a new component. This component would be loaded along with the business or presentation layers. I don't know the setup of how you work with your business and presentation layer components but you can configure it so that a change in the common component only has to be done once and delivered once.

If you have reason to keep a copy of the file in the business and presentation components, you'll have a much harder time synchronizing the file. It would require much more customization and I'm not even sure if the current capabilities would provide an elegant solution.

Comments
Taglia Ibm commented May 28 '13, 10:19 a.m.

Thanks Tim,
the files have different content and they have to be synchronized.

The problem is how.

Mauro

Tim Mok commented May 28 '13, 11:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There isn't a built-in method to enforce that your developers have modified both files if one of them is modified. The dependency link is something your group requires and isn't something that RTC can detect. You could create a custom advisor that checks the change sets to be delivered to see if it includes changes to both files. This will require more effort on your part but would be highly customized to your requirements.

Check out the article on creating custom operation advisors: https://jazz.net/library/article/495

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.