It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot set the current timline for my project and other project area tasks

Chris McGee (50511117) | asked May 23 '13, 10:56 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 24 '13, 2:32 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
After creating a new jazzhub project I noticed that while my project dashboard has a section on the right hand side to set the current plan, etc. there is no way I can set the current timeline. When I click on the link I am taking to the advanced project are management page where I do not have permissions to add members, set current timeline, etc.

Is there any plan to give project creators more control over their project areas?

4 answers

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered May 24 '13, 7:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 24 '13, 7:54 a.m.
Hi Chris,

We simplified timeline creation and editing for JazzHub users.  You can currently edit your timeline on the project details page for your project.  To view the project details page, browse for your project on https://hub.jazz.net/projects and open it.

At this point in time, we do not plan to give project creators administrative privileges over their project areas.  Project creators can invite members to their project from the project details page.

Comments
Chris McGee commented May 24 '13, 8:18 a.m.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the reply. I will use this page to manage my project instead of using the advanced project area management page. However, I don't see any way to make the timeline/iteration "current."

If you go to the "Track and Plan" section of a project and look at the far right side of the project's default dashboard it has a section that shows the following:

Timelines

Development
No current iteration is defined. Go to the Project Area to select one.

I would like to set one of the iterations/timelines as current.

Thanks,
Chris

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented May 24 '13, 8:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback!  I've opened a work item to see if we can hide this section as it's a bit confusing that we show the link, but you can't actually edit it.

In JazzHub, you can currently have one timeline (so it will be the default timeline), and your iterations cannot overlap dates (so there can only be one current iteration).  Is there a feature you use that requires an iteration be explicitly set as current?

Lauren

Chris McGee commented May 24 '13, 2:21 p.m.

Hi Lauren,

I see that you removed that piece from the project dashboard. Thanks, it makes it less cluttered and confusing.

I'm wondering if there are other places in RTC that may not work 100% without current timelines set as "current." I suspect that the planning stuff and work item queries could be affected.

Chris

Adam Archer commented May 24 '13, 6:39 p.m.

Our goal here was to attempt to simplify some of the complexities around timelines. We did realize the gap with current iterations, but not until we had the current functionality implemented. We do plan to do something to close the loop with the missing concepts in the tools, but we haven't figured out what yet. One idea was to automatically move the current iteration forward without any user interaction.

Scott Rich commented May 25 '13, 4:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I opened another defect on this, the timeline wizard should set the current iteration.  I  heard about this from another early access user, and they agreed that automatically moving the current iteration would be a good solution.

permanent link
Susan Peich (133) | answered Jun 03 '13, 9:03 a.m.
 +1 to ensuring that the current iteration moves with the timeline. Automatically would be great! 

One other thing to consider is that if certain administrative features aren't going to be available to project owners, then   the specific dashboard viewlets associated with those features should be hidden or not available in the dashboard customization, as well. For example, if I can't set an iteration type, then I should not be able to select viewlets that dynamically show iteration info on my dashboard.

The long way of saying that it's confusing to see all of the possible features, but not have access to manipulate them. :-)

permanent link
Adam Archer (83639) | answered Jun 03 '13, 10:45 a.m.
Great news! The current iteration will always be set for your timeline now. Whether you modify your timeline or whether it changes through normal passage of time, it should stay in sync. Let us know if you continue to have problems with it!

permanent link
Susan Peich (133) | answered Jun 05 '13, 9:38 p.m.
 It switched over for our latest sprint automatically. Seems to be working well. Thanks!

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Jun 06 '13, 6:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Fantastic!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.