It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Modifying the Name/Alias of Change Set Using SCM

Brian Gottfried (15346) | asked May 23 '13, 9:33 a.m.
Is there a command to modify the name or alias of a specific change set using the command line tool? I've looked through the documentation for it, but the changeset only allows you to close an open changeset or modify the comments on it and I can't find any other command that allows you to modify a changeset. I'm asking because we have some developers who don't use Eclipse and would like to use the command line interface exclusively for Source Control.

3 answers

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered May 23 '13, 10:40 a.m.
 Hi Brian,  there isn't a way to dictate the alias of an object.  Those will be unique in different scm sessions.

Comments
Brian Gottfried commented May 23 '13, 10:45 a.m.

Ah, this is a clear case of my not reading the documentation closely enough. I was confusing aliases with UUIDs (I think...I thought that UUIDs were the four-digit numbers assigned to obects, but upon reading more closely, it looks like those are the aliases. Is that correct?)

Any idea about modifying the name of a change set, however?

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered May 23 '13, 10:52 a.m.
edited May 23 '13, 10:53 a.m.
 Hi Brian, the comment can be changed if thats what you mean.  Example below: 
 D:\rtcinstalls\RTC-Client-Win-3.0.1.5\jazz\scmtools\eclipse>scm status
Workspace: (1057) "JCBRM" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
  Component: (1043) "Banking Logic" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
    Baseline: (1044) 4 "Sprint 1 (Release 1.0)"
    Outgoing:
      Change sets:
        (1069)  *--@  <No comment>
  Component: (1045) "Build" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
    Baseline: (1046) 2 "Week 1 (Sprint 1, Release 1.0)"
    Outgoing:
      Change sets:
        (1067)  *--@  <No comment>
  Component: (1047) "C# UI" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"

##########################################
D:\rtcinstalls\RTC-Client-Win-3.0.1.5\jazz\scmtools\eclipse>scm changeset comment 1069 "my new comment"
Comment set.

D:\rtcinstalls\RTC-Client-Win-3.0.1.5\jazz\scmtools\eclipse>scm status
Workspace: (1057) "JCBRM" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
  Component: (1043) "Banking Logic" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
    Baseline: (1044) 4 "Sprint 1 (Release 1.0)"
    Outgoing:
      Change sets:
        (1069)  *--@  "my new comment"
  Component: (1045) "Build" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
    Baseline: (1046) 2 "Week 1 (Sprint 1, Release 1.0)"
    Outgoing:
      Change sets:
        (1067)  *--@  <No comment>
  Component: (1047) "C# UI" <-> (1041) "BRM Stream"
    Baseline: (1048) 4 "Sprint 1 (Release 1.0)"

You can also expose the uuid's with the -u y flags. 
D:\rtcinstalls\RTC-Client-Win-3.0.1.5\jazz\scmtools\eclipse>scm -u y status
Workspace: (1057:_txrFoJsgEeKAmaqeh8_gLw) "JCBRM" <-> (1041:_vmGHEEWhEeKP7ZphD5>
  Component: (1043:_sh2S8EWhEeKP7ZphD52zrg) "Banking Logic" <-> (1041:_vmGHEEWh>
    Baseline: (1044:_vYX0IkWhEeKP7ZphD52zrg) 4 "Sprint 1 (Release 1.0)"
    Outgoing:
      Change sets:
        (1069:_7fBOwbgREeK2FbcQ0_goVA)  *--@  "my new comment"
  Component: (1045:_soLkcEWhEeKP7ZphD52zrg) "Build" <-> (1041:_vmGHEEWhEeKP7Zph>
    Baseline: (1046:_u9YhQkWhEeKP7ZphD52zrg) 2 "Week 1 (Sprint 1, Release 1.0)"
    Outgoing:
      Change sets:

Comments
Brian Gottfried commented May 23 '13, 11:29 a.m.

So, the documentation for SCM states that the deliver command requires a changeset..., with the following description:

A list of zero or more change sets to deliver. You can specify change sets by name, UUID, comment, or associated work item. If no change sets are specified, all outgoing changes are delivered.

That was what sparked the question for me. So the change set name and change set comment are different; not sure how you even view the change set name in the command line though, as it doesn't seem to be present in your example. Documentation is a litttle unclear on this point.

Tim Mok commented May 23 '13, 11:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I checked the documentation for 4.0 and it looks like it has been fixed as it doesn't mention the change set name as a valid way to specify a change set. The scm help command also doesn't mention change set names. So at least starting in 4.0 the doc error has been fixed.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered May 23 '13, 11:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
213249: Change sets need human readable id

There's already an enhancement asking for human readable ids if that helps with your developers' workflow.

Comments
Brian Gottfried commented May 23 '13, 11:35 a.m.

Tim, that appears to be what I'm looking for. I think my issue probably lies in reading the documentation too closely. If you check my comment on Josh's 2nd answer, you'll see the full details, but the short version is that the command line documentation makes reference to a change set name. I was just wondering if there was a native feature in the command line interface and how we could get a hold of it if it was. Might be best to revise the CL documentation to reflect that names aren't natively available (yet at least) in the scm interface...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.