It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict Work Item Owned By Attribute, by Project Area or Team Area member?

Robert Carter (42928589) | asked May 22 '13, 6:21 p.m.
When I create a new Work Item, is it possible to restrict the list for the Owned by attribute to only list the members of the project area and not the whole RTC repository?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered May 22 '13, 11:38 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you change the access control in the Project area to be 'members of the project area hierarchy' only those members will show in the drop-down. You will still be able to search for other users by using the wildcard '*'. However by setting this access control, this will restrict the overall visibility of the entire project area to those users.
Robert Carter selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Robert Carter commented May 23 '13, 8:10 a.m.

The searching for other users by using the wild card is what I don't want.  Or it only searches for those 'members of the project area hierarchy'.  We have multiple project areas and thus some one can add a user who is not a member of the current project area and then when they click on the link from the email notification they get an error.  Of course, because they don't have access.  I would like to try and avoid that error in the first place.

Stephanie Bagot commented May 23 '13, 10:07 a.m.

Hi Robert, There is no way to prevent searching with the wildcard currently. However, this would be an excellent candidate for an RFE. I recommend that you open up an Enhancement record on jazz.net for this feature if one does not exist.

Robert Carter commented May 23 '13, 6:46 p.m.

What about using  Role-based user list or Script Based Value Set as referenced here, Customizing attributes and here, Script Based?

Stephanie Bagot commented May 23 '13, 7:36 p.m.

Script based may work, but would need to be customized on your own. The role based user list will still allow the wildcard selection when you search for users.

Albert Yao commented May 12 '14, 1:26 p.m.

"may work"???

Could you give a definitive and detailed answer?

Stephanie Bagot commented May 12 '14, 1:29 p.m.

It will work, but this is something that needs to be done on your own, since we don't provide this OOB.

Albert Yao commented May 13 '14, 3:16 a.m.

What does "OOB" mean? 

Ralph Schoon commented May 13 '14, 3:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Out Of The Box.

Java Script will not work, you have no access to roles and user lists in Java. Explanation why and how to do something like this in Java can be found in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/attribute-customization-java-based-value-providers-conditions-and-validators/ it includes an example for value set providers that looks for roles in certain contexts.

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

2 other answers

permanent link
Brian Fleming (1.6k11928) | answered May 24 '13, 1:37 p.m.
You may wish to subscribe to this RFE which is close to what you are looking for

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=116301

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 22 '13, 11:40 p.m.
I think if you set the project visibility it should restrict the selectable user set to those in the project.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.