It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Multiple Owned By Attribute on a Workitem

Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | asked May 21 '13, 2:12 p.m.

Hi,

I have a flow that I need to implement on RTC. We need tree people to set  their own Due Date about some jobs and set other Attributes on the same workitem. They are actually not the owner of the workitem but they need to contribute to workitem with their effort.

My draft workitem looks like the one below. When FT responsible or ST Responsible is selected, I want them to be warned with an e-mail. It seems to be not possible with the current RTC configuration but I might be missing some points.

Do I need to write a post condition or is there a configuration that I missed?

4 answers

permanent link
Abhinav Mishra (1443039) | answered Apr 09 '14, 2:00 a.m.
In my opinion creating duplicate work item is cleaner way to do this.By doing this you can set your values as per your requirement

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 26 '13, 7:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If multiple people are contributing to a work item, you can give each person an "Approval", which allows them to specify when they have performed their part of the task.   If you want to track more information about a contributor than whether or not they are done, then it is best to create a child work item for that contributor.

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered May 22 '13, 2:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello,
as per Jim's comment,
contains details about the limitations of the Javascript API.

On my side, I would implement a save participant - see Ralph's blog and examples on this http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/

Implement this participant so that, at save time, we subscribe the FT responsible and/or ST Responsible if set.

Hope it helps.
Eric.

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered May 21 '13, 7:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On the surface, the easiest way to do this would be to add the Responsible people in the new attributes to the list of subscribers using a JavaScript provider. As subscribers, they'd get an email every time the WI is modified.
 The way to do this would be to create a JavaScript based value provider, pulling the contributor (user) information from the Responsible attributes and adding them to the Subscriber list. 

Unfortunately, the JavaScript API in RTC is very simple and mostly just works for strings. It won't let you pull a contributor an one attribute and add it to the Subscriber attribute.

I recommend either one of these simpler methods:

1. Add the Responsible people to the Subscribers manually. You could make this slightly easier by putting the attribute presentations for the Responsible attributes on the Links tab. Then you can add them as subscribers on the same tab.

2. Create child work items for each test type using Work Item Templates. Create a WI template that has your main WI as the parent, and 3 testing WIs as children. When you create a new WI, use that template instead of a specific WI. Then the owner of the Functional Test child WI will get an email when the WI is modified. This has the benefit of allowing you to track the status of each test separately, though you might need to create a new WI type with a small testing workflow.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 27 '13, 2:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

JavaScript can't access the subscriptions. If you want to automate this, you would need to create a participant as Eric suggests.

On the other hand, why flooding them with e-mail? They can have a dashboard that shows they are an additional owner - if you use a contributor list attribute. Otherwise, as suggested it would be possible to create child work items that track the individual contribution. This is much cleaner. A participant could even create the child work items based on the "Additional owner" contributor list.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.