It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Start Jazz Team server" on Win 7 only executes briefly after about 1 month of use

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked May 21 '13, 10:16 a.m.

Near the beginning of April, I downloaded and installed RTC 4.0.1 including the Jazz Team Server components on a Windows 7 Enterprise edition laptop (SP 1).  I ran and used the software fairly successfully for about a month through the day on Thursday, May 2.  As far as I recall, I ran the “Stop the Jazz Team Server” on May 2 when I was done with my work.  Based on my schedule, I didn’t try to start the Jazz Team Server again until Thursday, May 9.  At that time, the black command window flashed up on the screen very briefly and then went away (normally it stays up, takes 2 - 5 min. to start the JTS, then stays up as long as the JTS is running).  I assumed my laptop needed a reboot and went on with other activities.

However, after rebooting my laptop and multiple attempts, the Jazz Team server will not start.  Most of the time, the command window just flashes up briefly and goes away.  It looks like there is about a paragraph of text in the command window but it comes and goes so quickly I can’t capture it.  Occasionally, a second command window is launched after the first one but that too goes away very quickly.  (I think the second command window is supposed to come up when you start the JTS and that is normally the window that starts and runs the JTS.)

I can’t explain what caused the break and I don’t know where to start looking.  I did try to review various log directories in the IBM program files location.  But the latest dates on the folders and log files are from May 2.  I can’t seem to find anything (log files or otherwise) near the current date that can be used to diagnose.  Any help to get the JTS running again is appreciated.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered May 21 '13, 11:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You will need to set up tomcat to open both windows in the same window.
To do that see this post: "why is my tomcat console dying just after starting up?"
Once that is done you should be able see the error causing the problem.

I suspect the problem it will be quite obvious once you do that. If not you can post the error message here for further analysis.

Best guess without seeing the error is that your XMX and XMS values are too high for your available memory
If you want to just set those lower and test you can open your server.startup and look for the following lines.
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx4G
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms4G
Depending on how much memory you have on the laptop you could cut the values to 2G or even less.
If it is just a test server on your laptop there should be no real problems with using a value less than 4 gigs.
I generally use 1.5 - 2 gigs on all my test RTC installs.
Note to set to 1.5 gig you would want to use the Megs rather than Gigs.
i.e.
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx1536M
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms1536M
Michael Taylor selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:18 p.m.

Thanks.  These are good memory tips that I will keep in mind.  I still don’t understand why memory would be an issue since 1) I started and stopped the server many times over the course of the last month with no known memory issues and 2) I’ve tried this after a fresh reboot with about 6 GB RAM available.  My “Available” RAM under windows task manager is currently sitting at 5092 (I’ve been running other programs since the last boot).  What am I missing with this line of thinking?

I'm going to spend some time with the article you suggested ("why is my tomcate console dying just after starting up?").

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:19 p.m.

It looks like this is the last set of commands to be executed by catalina.bat (see comment below).  And it appears to be opening the second command window briefly at the end of this.  Does this indicate anything in particular?

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:23 p.m.

C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>start "Tomcat" "C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\jre\bin\java"  -Djava.awt.headless=true -DSQLSERVER_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\\sqlserver\sqljdbc4.jar" -DORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\\oracle\ojdbc6.jar" -DDB2I_JDBC="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\\db2i" -DDB2Z_JDBC="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\\db2z" -Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.plugin.EcorePlugin.doNotLoadResourcesPlugin=true -DJAZZ_HOME=file:///C%3a/PROGRA~1/IBM/JAZZTE~1/server/conf -Dcom.ibm.team.repository.tempDir="C:\Users\michatay\AppData\Local\Temp" -Djazz.connector.sslProtocol=SSL_TLS -Djazz.connector.algorithm=IbmX509 -Xmx4G -Xms4G -Xmn512M -Xgcpolicy:gencon -Xcompressedrefs -Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000 -Dlog4j.configuration=file:///C%3a/PROGRA~1/IBM/JAZZTE~1/server/conf/startup_log4j.properties -Djava.util.logging.config.file="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf\logging.properties" -Djava.util.

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:23 p.m.

logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager   -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\endorsed" -classpath "C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\bin\tomcat-juli.jar" -Dcatalina.base="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat" -Dcatalina.home="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat" -Djava.io.tmpdir="C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\temp" org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap  start

C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>goto end

C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>endlocal 

C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:33 p.m.

The error message follows.  If this is a memory issue, I don't understand why memory has become an issue now when I didn't change the memory setting and it was working for a month before...

• JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 4G requested
      Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Ralph Schoon commented May 21 '13, 12:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Memory problem. Did you change anything since you started the server the last time? did you remove memory? I assume you run on a 64 bit system, how much memory do you have?

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:53 p.m.

Nothing was changed physically.  The only change I can think of is that there may have been standard monthly COE patches applied to my laptop.  I believe this is a 64 bit system.  It is Windows 7 Enterprise Edition SP1.

My total memory (Physical) is 8142.  I just tried a fresh reboot.  I had over 6200 "Available" and over 4200 "Free".  And I received the following error (I think it's the same one I received before):

JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 4G requested

Michael Taylor commented Jun 20 '13, 4:24 p.m.

I can't explain why it worked for so long without a problem before my issue started.  But changing the following worked:

Original settings:

------------------------------

Changed settings:

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx2G
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms2G

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

3 other answers

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered May 22 '13, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 You've probably already thought of this, but also make sure the command window where you're executing server.startup is being run as an Administrator. Right-click the Command window program and "Run as administrator".

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 20 '13, 4:30 p.m.

Thanks for the tip!  I tried your suggestion for both the command line window I was using as well as the regular "Start the Jazz Team Server" program that I launch in Win 7.  No change.  I had to change the following in server.startup.bat as suggested above:

Original settings:

Changed settings:

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered May 21 '13, 1:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 21 '13, 1:09 p.m.
Based on the error you need to lower your XMX and XMS settings Note: XMS has to be <= the XMX setting.

Java will use all the memory given by the  XMX & XMS setting plus a little bit more native memory (outside the java heap) So that immediately puts you at 4+ gigs of memory just for the JVM.

It is hard to say why it stopped working or really why it was working in the first place.
Six gigs is cutting it a bit close. It could be some other application you installed that put it over the top.

I would also recommend removing  the -Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000 setting all together.
The SDK Information center under Compressed references says this about that setting:
-Xgc:preferredHeapBase= address  , where address is the base memory address for the heap. In the following example, the heap is located at the 4GB mark, leaving the lowest 4GB of address space for use by other processes.

-Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000

If I'm understanding correctly this means you need at least 8 gigs of memory to use that setting.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Jun 20 '13, 4:28 p.m.

Thanks for the thoughts about -Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000.  If I wanted to follow your suggestion on this, would I remove the entire line as below?

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xcompressedrefs  -Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000

I can't explain why it worked for so long without a problem before my issue started.  But changing the following worked:  I decided to change just one thing at a time.  So currently it is working with the following two changes and without the HeapBase change you suggested above.

Original settings:

Changed settings:

Karl Weinert commented Jun 20 '13, 4:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The settings are related but you don't need the preferredHeapBase with the Xcompressedrefs  setting.
I just remove -Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000 and things work just fine.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 21 '13, 10:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Michael,

I assume you run on Tomcat? If the window starts and closes again that quick, this typically has something to do with Java not starting. This can be related to too few memory which is unlikely because it started in the past.
You can try to copy the server.startup.bat and remove the "call" statements at the end of that script, I believe than the window should not close immediately. There was a tip in this forum, but I can't find it anymore, so I am not 100% sure about removing the call 8-( but I think this does the trick.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 11:47 a.m.

Yes, I’m running on Tomcat which I believe is the standard RTC install.

Thanks for your tips.  You’ve pointed me in the right direction so that I know what scripts (.bat) are initially called.  I’m now starting with “server.startup.bat” and trying to step through it.  I can’t explain why the JTS isn’t starting up and loading all the java classes/programs like it used to do.

Is there any specific output I could provide that would help us focus on the particular issue?

Josh Crawford commented May 21 '13, 12:18 p.m.

Hi Michael,  the output from the catalina.log might be useful.  That will be in <jazzinstall>\server\tomcat\logs directory.  Please post the output of a log with a timestamp consistent to when the problem is observed

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 12:37 p.m.

Thanks.  It's not even generating a catalina.log for some reason.  Using "why is my tomcat console dying just after starting up?" I was able to obtain the following error message:

If this is a memory issue, I don't understand why memory has become an issue now when I didn't change the memory setting and it was working for a month before...

• JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 4G requested

Indradri Basu commented May 21 '13, 1:02 p.m.

Hi Mike, this above error indicates this might actually be a memory issue. The machine needs to have 4gigs of memory available to instantiate JVM. If possible, close all applications, check the available memory and try starting it once you have 4gigs available.

Michael Taylor commented May 21 '13, 1:16 p.m.

Thank you.  My total memory (Physical) is 8142.  I just tried a fresh reboot.  I had over 6200 "Available" and over 4200 "Free".  And I received the following error (I think it's the same one I received before - see at the bottom of this comment.  So I should have 4G available, right? 

Also, nothing was changed physically on my laptop and this used to work.  The only change I can think of is that there may have been standard monthly COE patches applied to my laptop.  I believe this is a 64 bit system.  It is Windows 7 Enterprise Edition SP1.

JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 4G requested

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.