It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Work Item Category Visibility setting doesn't work

Stephen Bromfield (83410) | asked May 17 '13, 6:46 a.m.

I'm using RTC 3.0.1 and trying to do some hiding of work items.

I need Stakeholders to have access to high level work items, but not have access to low level work items such as Tasks.

I've attempted to create a subteam and put restrictions around this to 'hide' work items.

Team A

- Sub Team A1

If I use the 'Restrict Work Item Access' setting against the Sub Team A1 work item category.then I can no longer see the work items in a plan if logged in as a non team member. This would be great but the progress bar is also devoid of the information provided by the restricted Work Items. I would hope that plan's progress bar would still show the teams progress even if the plans work items were restricted.

I therefore thought that I would make use of the Work Item Category 'Visibility' setting instead, to hide the Work Items. I therefore unclick the Visibility checkbox for Team A and Sub Team A1. I then log in as a non team member, but I can see all the Tasks filed against the 'invisible; work item category, in my plan.

Surely I should not be see these work items as their visibility is restricted to the team members, and I am not a team member?

3 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered May 17 '13, 7:00 a.m.
edited May 17 '13, 7:01 a.m.
Please note the following about category based restrictions:
1. JazzAdmins will always see the even the restricted WIs
2. It is not possible to mix other access restriction methods with category-based restrictions, the results are inpredictable
3. The access permission is "inherited" in the Team hierarchy towards the root.

See the following article for details:
https://jazz.net/library/article/837

Comments
Stephen Bromfield commented May 17 '13, 8:26 a.m.

Piotr,

Thanks for the response. In answer to your comments:

1. Agreed, I want to restrict access to JazzUsers with specific roles or members of specific teams.

2. I'm not using any other access restriction method. I'm using one or the other of 'Restrict Work Item Access' or 'Visibility' on the category. Not both. I'm not making use of Access Groups.

3. The 'Root Category' is not restricted. Just the Category and sub-category representing the team and sub-team.

The article (837) seems to be about restricting access to all work items of a certain type within a project area which is not what I want to do. I want to limit visibility of some Task work items but have visibility of other Task work items.

Cheers,

Steve

Piotr Aniola commented May 17 '13, 8:37 a.m.

I think the article describes what you want, please see the section Restrict visibility based on categories (team area assignment)
This allows you to assign a Team Area to a Work Item Category. Setting the category restriction will then restrict the visibility of the workitems filed against this category only to members of the team associated to this category (plus the members of parent teams).

Stephen Bromfield commented May 17 '13, 10:19 a.m.

Piotr,

The article describes what I'd like to do and what I am trying to do (Restrict visibility based on categories (team area assignment) but the functionality is not working properly.
There are two ways to put restrictions around Work Item Categories:
1. Restrict Work Item Access
or
2. Visibility

Stephen Bromfield commented May 17 '13, 10:19 a.m.

1. Using the 'Restrict Work Item Access' setting hides relevant work items from the user (non team member), but also mean that progress bars show incorrect information, as the hidden work items are not taken into account.

2. Using the 'Visibility' setting instead just doesn't seem to work. If I tick the checkbox against the category to limit work item visibility to only team members, non team members are still able to access work items filed against that invisible category!

Piotr Aniola commented May 17 '13, 10:47 a.m. | edited May 17 '13, 10:47 a.m.

Are these "non-team members" members of some other team? If so, what is the relation between the teams? Is there a parent-child relationship?

Stephen Bromfield commented May 20 '13, 4:43 a.m.

Piotr,

I've got a Parent team and a sub team. The Parent category is unrestricted, the sub team category is retricted.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11219) | answered May 17 '13, 10:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
From what I understand, the 'Restrict Category Visibility' setting controls the visibility of category in the File Against drop down. This is to restrict members who create work items to file work item against the categories associated with their team only.

Restrict Category Visibility:
- Each category can be configured to be visible to members of the team only.

To restrict access of non-team member to a work item, 'Restrict Work Item Access' can be used.

Restrict Work Item Access:

- Each category can be configured so that work items filed against the category are only accessible from members of the associated team.

Comments
Stephen Bromfield commented May 17 '13, 11:22 a.m.
Kot,
Looking at infocenter, I came to the same conclusion. I was getting my wires crossed about what the Visibility setting does!

But to my mind there is an issue with using the Work Item Access Restrict setting.
I'm at a customer site, where they want to limit the ability of stakeholders to view individual Tasks, on a team by team basis.
But the customer still wants stakeholders to get a true reflection of the progress of the teams via the progress bars.
If the work items are filed against a restricted category, then data from the work item is not displayed in the progress bar in a plan if you are logged in as a non-team member. Therefore a stakeholder viewing the progress bar is not getting a true reflection of the progress of the team.

permanent link
Shimon Nir (241016) | answered Jun 28 '13, 6:48 a.m.
I would like to add and describe at the same time another use case which is related to this one.
If the user who creates a WI is not part of the team for that category (yet he wishes to go on and create one), he cannot save his work. How can we overcome this problem. I am perfectly satisfied he will not see the list of the WIs belonging to that category
Thanks Shimon 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 28 '13, 7:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please make this a separate question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.