It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I populate work item attributes section when extracting a work item

Paul Grayem (21810) | asked May 16 '13, 11:19 a.m.
I'm trying to extract data from a parent work item using the extract work item in the edit menu. 

I'm looking to extract the title, a document ref and a document ref version no

I've managed to extract the title to the new work item. By highlighting the title text, right clicking and selecting extract work item. I then choose the link type and work item type. I'm then faced with a work item attributes section (which I'm assuming is how I  populate other data, however I am unable to see any attributes)

If I click finish then the child work item is created with the correct title (summary). But I cannot find a way to populate other fields that are the same attribute type and name. 

Basically if my thinking that I somehow need to populate the work item attributes in extract work item is correct, how do I do this so my two other attributes are available for selection?

Thanks in advance Paul

2 answers

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered May 16 '13, 7:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 16 '13, 7:23 p.m.
 Hi Paul,

First, the work item that you're creating needs to have some attributes in common with the work item you're creating. If they're the same type of work item (for example, both are Tasks), then you're OK. Other work item types might only have a few attributes in common, for example "owned by".

Also, the attributes in the original WI need to have information in them in order to populate the attributes in the new WI. So if you're creating a Story from a Story, but the original WI has an Owned By attribute with a value of "unassigned", then you won't see that attribute available in the list of attributes to populate.

So you're probably not seeing the two attributes you want because:
  • The new WI is not the same type as the old WI and they don't share those attributes, or
  • The old WI does not have any values for the attributes you're interested in, so there's no data that can populate the attributes in the new WI.

permanent link
Paul Grayem (21810) | answered May 17 '13, 6:26 a.m.
 Thanks mate that's pointed me in the correct direction 

Your a star :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.