It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What's the Granularity of Data to be OSLCed?

zhang xinglong (112) | asked May 11 '13, 10:23 a.m.
 Hi,
Now, I am learning OSLC, but I have some questions in data level. 

Recently, we want to build a platform which can connect some lifecycle tools. For example, tool A and tool B.  A is a requirement management tool, and B is a defect management tool. A has many functions and each function can provide its own data.On the platform we will integrate A(but we don't know the platform business logic now). What data in A should be provided using OSLC?

Now, we have several plans.
1)A just provide the basic data. When the platform business logic is clear, we can directly use the basic data to satisfy the business needs. But the weak point is that we move the business login in tool A to platform.
2)A provide every data it owns. The  good point is that we don't have to do a lot of work on platform, but the weak point is that we have to do a lot of work ,and maybe some data provided by A is not useful.

In other words, now we don't know the granularity of the data to be provided.

My English is not good. I hope I have described clearly. 

Regards

One answer

permanent link
Oliver Siebenmarck (1111) | answered May 15 '13, 6:00 a.m.
Hi,

without knowing your specific needs, I can only give a general answer. But I'll try anyway.

The OSLC specifications (available here: http://open-services.net/specifications/) does give you some hints on what data to provide. In your case, I would suggest, Tool A would follow the OSLC Requirements Management specification, providing all the data mentioned in the specification but not more. If it turns out later on that you need additional data in Tool B, you can add these data on top using a different namespace. However, in my experience, the information provide within OSLC itself is usually sufficient.

I do not believe that OSLC (or any REST-based service) is particularly suited for control integration (i.e. calling functions and procedures via OSLC), so I suggest you do only provide the data and let the requesting tool work with it. If you still want to add control integration, this thesis might be useful:
http://uu.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:506590

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.