It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I use Query Studio to query on all the test case results in a test suite log?

Colin Thorne (22421619) | asked May 10 '13, 12:43 p.m.
retagged May 12 '13, 10:14 a.m. by Lisa Caten (342913)
I am using RRDI (Query Studio) to report on the history of test case results (this bit I can achieve), and I would also like to group them by test suite.

To do this I would like to get the link from a test suite log to the test case execution results. I can find the table Test Suite Log Related Execution Results in the ODS, which has the details of the execution results, but I can't find how that links to a Test Suite Log. I was expecting to find a column called 'Test suite log id' or something similar.

ODS_Schema.TESTSUITELOG_EXECRESULT_LOOKUP/executionresult_ID but I can't find this anywhere in the ODS.

I am using 4.0.0.1 version of RQM.

I must be missing something in my understanding, and so can anyone help me to fit these pieces together?

Thanks, Colin.

One answer

permanent link
VK L (8177155159) | answered May 13 '13, 12:37 a.m.
 Hi Colin,
                 Please try the "TESTSUITELOG" Table. There are columns for Test Suite ID, Test Suite exec record id, etc. You might have to check the linked tables such as TESTSUITE_EXECUTION_RECORD for anyadditional related data as well. Query Joins can bring out the combined data.

Thanks.

Comments
Colin Thorne commented May 13 '13, 4:00 a.m.

Hi Valli, thanks for you response.

If I understand correctly, the TESTSUITELOG table contains details for each run of a test suite execution record (called Test Suite Result in the web client). And as you say, I can find out details of the test suite execution record from the TESTSUITE_EXECUTION_RECORD table (probably through the Test Suite Execution Record Id).

However, I would like to see all the test case results (which I think is the table EXECUTION_RESULT) for a single TESTSUITELOG, 

I am still not sure how I bridge from the test case result (EXECUTION_RESULT table) to the test suite result (TESTSUITELOG table).

We have been using RQM for over a year to run and record our automated test runs and so we have lots of historical data I would like to unlock :-)

Regards, Colin.

VK L commented May 13 '13, 4:08 a.m.

How are you viewing data in query studio - Have you created a package to use? All required columns can be pulled out in the package - using the joins of the required tables. and then you can either view the sample data in framework manager itself (or) in query studio.

To bridge b/w different tables, we need to define relations and thereby retrieve all related data into a single query namespace.

Thanks.

Colin Thorne commented May 13 '13, 11:29 a.m.

Thanks for being patient with me :) This is my first time using Query Studio so I think I may be missing some concepts.

In Query Studio I am using the 'Reporting Data Model (DW)' which I presume came with RRDI:
  • Launch Rational Reporting using Quality Management->Reports->Perform Additional Reporting Tasks
  • From Rational Reporting I choose Launch->Query Studio
  • I choose Rational Data Model (DW) as the package to use.
  • In Query Studio I then expand Operational Data Store, and have been randomly choosing different places to find tables (query subjects). In this case I was using Execution Result Area->Execution Result related Test Suite Logs.
  • To look around, I inserted the whole table into the query to see all the columns and example rows of data
Are you suggesting I should create a new package instead of the Reporting Data Model (DW)? If that is the case, could you point me to some documentation on how to do that and I'll give it a go.

Thanks, Colin.

VK L commented May 14 '13, 12:52 a.m.

Hi Colin,

If the existing queries are not giving the linked data, then you might have to form new ones as per your reqmnts. 
Use report studio - with Reporting Data Model (DW) package, define new queries , joins etc to bring out the required data.
There will be cognos guides in the help link in your RRDI URL itself.

Colin Thorne commented May 14 '13, 8:58 a.m.

Hi Valli, thanks for continuing to help me with this.

Following your advice, I have been using report studio (and reading the help!) and I can now create new queries and joins using the Reporting Data Model (DW).

However, I am having a problem getting my particular desire to create a join between the Execution Result and the Test Suite Log. In the join relationship I need to specify the data items that correspond with each other. I cannot find a data item in the Execution Result that refers to any of the data items in the Test Suite Log.

I do see a data item "Suite Index" which is the index of the result in the Test Suite Log, but I do not see a reference to the Test Suite Log itself.

Do you know if there is a data item I can use?

Thanks, Colin.

VK L commented May 15 '13, 3:00 a.m.
Hi Colin,
               Please try to find the below query subjects: [Under Operational Data Store->Test suite area]

test suite log

test suite
test suite related test suite logs
test suite log related execution results

Thanks.

Colin Thorne commented May 20 '13, 7:24 a.m.

Hello Valli, sorry for the delay in responding: I have only just had another chance to investigate this further.

I have found the query subjects you mention, but I am still not clear as to which data items I should use in my join. For example, if I have a 'test suite log related execution results', in my join I don't know which data item to use to connect to the test suite log.

Can you let me know which values to use in this particular example?

Thanks, Colin.

VK L commented May 22 '13, 4:14 a.m.

Hi Colin,

It doesn't look to be a direct join between the 2.  You can link test suite log with test suite related elements with suite id as a key for the join. Then from this combined query, use script id or test case id to link to test log related exec results and should give you the combined results.

Thanks.

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.