It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migration from Tomcat to WebSphere

Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12648) | asked May 09 '13, 7:28 a.m.
retagged May 09 '13, 8:14 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103)
 Hi Team,

I am moving existing instance of CLM from Tomcat to IBM WebSphere.

I meet issue which you maybe will be able to support.

Is there any easy way to move users from Tomcat to WebSphere ?

Comments
Bartosz Chrabski commented May 09 '13, 10:21 a.m.

Users available but I receive information that external repository is plugged in and it is used for users management.

My question here is how I can easily now manage those users without addtional manual process of typing everything again to WebSphere ? 

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered May 09 '13, 7:41 a.m.
edited May 09 '13, 8:17 a.m.
Hi Bartek,
If you use ldap, there it should be no problem but I believe that you are manually managing the users. In that case you can try running following command on old server:
repotools-jts -exportUsers
and then on new server:
repotools-jts -importUsers
This should help.

I have also created jazz.net RFE to attach this information to infocenter: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=264486

Comments
Piotr Aniola commented May 09 '13, 7:47 a.m.

Krzysztof, there was no mention of an exception in the question.

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented May 09 '13, 8:13 a.m.

Piotr, it seems that Bartosz has modified his post when I was answering his question. I have modified my answer to be more applicable to current version of the question.

Josh Crawford commented May 09 '13, 9:29 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof,  I don't see how that will work for tomcat user files.  The users are already imported into the repository.  The problem that needs to be addressed is either getting those user accounts into Ldap or a Websphere realm for the application server to authenticate against.  

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented May 09 '13, 10:07 a.m. | edited May 09 '13, 10:08 a.m.

Hello John,
I made following test on my server (CLM 4.0.2, Tomcat):
1. run repotools-jts -exportUsers
2. Add new user (jazz2) to exported csv
3. run repotools-jts -importUsers
4. Login with jazz2 to the server => I was able to log in so I am assuming that jazz2 has been added to Tomcat database.I have not tested on WAS this solution (I just suggested trying this method to Bartek). Are you sure that this will not for exporting to WAS?

Also one additional question to Bartek:
What kind of authentication you have used so far: using Tomcat database or ldap?

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered May 09 '13, 11:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Bartosz,

you might want to check the CLM 2012 Administration Workshop.
Its Lab 2 covers the migration to an external user registry  (LDAP) and the migration from tomcat to WebSphere.

Regards,
Stéphane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.