It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using RTC for design and development of mobile communication systems.( Uses FPGA/Cadence /Quartus II)

Girish Chandra P (853246) | asked May 09 '13, 3:21 a.m.
retagged May 09 '13, 3:39 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103)
Client development is mainly hardware based (FPGA), client  primarily use Quartus II and Cadence for designing board. 
Will RTC is a suitable tool for Configuration management, defect tracking and build management.
Clients expect to reduce the build cycles drastically.

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered May 09 '13, 3:38 a.m.
edited May 09 '13, 3:39 a.m.
Hello Girish,
For configuration management you can use Windows shell integration: https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2012/02/06/introducing-the-rational-team-concert-shell-integration-for-windows-explorer/
If only you can run the build in your tools using command line, you can also integrate build management (using Command Line - Jazz Build Engine: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/tcreatebuilddefinition.html).

Let me know if my answer helps for you.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Kazmierczyk

Comments
Girish Chandra P commented Jul 08 '13, 12:53 a.m.

Thanks Daniel &  Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk

But the challenge is Client is using the Linux Server and clients are on  windows.

So to do  Version Management  I need to Set up  JTS and CCM on Server ( Linux)  and Windows Shell on Client .

Suggest me

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 08 '13, 1:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

An RTC client on Windows can connect to an RTC server on Linux

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered May 10 '13, 8:46 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Jazz isn't really geared for FPGA development, although it can be made to work to support this type of development. When you say that the client is looking to reduce build cycles, what exactly do you mean?  Are we talking about respins and burns of the code into firmware?  Is it reduced cycle times for respins?

Krzysztof is correct in his comments, you can use the shell integration and the command line to have RTC work with the board design IDE's, but you will need to do that integration yourself.  The work item capabilities, ability to have discussions and running dialog, and the transparent nature of RTC should be attractive to this customer.  One other thing to keep in mind is that RTC will store source code versions in the repository forever.  In the past I know that these files could get very large, and if you use RTC for version controlling these files you will see your repository grow pretty quickly.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.