It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team member with parallel iterations on same timeline has 16 hours work to do in one day.

Stephen Bromfield (83410) | asked May 08 '13, 4:40 a.m.
 I have a situation where I have parallel iterations with the same start and end date within one timeline. I have a user 100% allocated to the timeline, and he is assigned two tasks, one for each iteration, each lasting one day. I would expect RTC to split the team members load across the 2 tasks, so that it expected 4 hrs work on each task on the first day, and 4 hours work on each task on the second day, pushing all other ongoing tasks further along the calendar.
Instead RTC shows a duration bar for each task of 8 hours on the first day, so implying that the user will be doing 16 hours work.
I am not going to be able to create different timelines for each Task. The scale of the project area means that we will have parallel and overlapping iterations, and it seems that the Roadmap and Planned Time views are therefore redundant.
Using the openUp process template

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 08 '13, 11:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Stephen,

the way you set up iterations in your timeline is not supported as far as I can tell.
The temporal iteration structure in a timeline has to be a partitioning where nested iterations can again partition the interval of the parent iteration.

If you build in overlaps and violate the "partitioning" paradigm, the planning component will just do wrong calculations and show effects like you describe above. I would agree, that you should not be allowed to specify timelines with overlapping iterations, you might want to consider creating an enhancement request here: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWelcome

If you want to model concurrence, you have to use separate timelines and separate teams.

As an alternative you can use the same timeline for two teams and have the user allocated to each team. Then you can plan different tasks in different teams and the calculations would reflect the real data.

Comments
Stephen Bromfield commented May 08 '13, 11:53 a.m.

Ralph,

Thanks for your answer.
It's a pity RTC does it this way. It makes it difficult to scale the project area for team members working on multiple iterations.
Also not good that the the over-allocation is not flagged within the plan!

Looking at the same scenario using the Formal Process Template, RTC seems able to manage the Tasks for a single user across multiple iterations by scheduling them all correctly one after the other (When using the Work Breakdown and Schedule view).

Ralph Schoon commented May 08 '13, 11:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I concur with your complaint, however, I don't know a better way either. How would you calculate irregular iterations? However, I would think an enhancement request for your scenario would be fine. I had these discussion before and you are not alone. There has to be a better way, maybe sing milestones?

However RTC was developed for agile and your scenario is not really.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.