It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Redirect to full url with DNS change

Melanie Dixon (9112) | asked May 07 '13, 12:15 p.m.
closed Jul 03 '23, 2:21 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)

I am asked to put in a change to the DNS and have http://jazz redirect users to our full URL for the jts server login.

Are there any concerns with doing this?

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by rschoon Jul 03 '23, 2:21 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered May 07 '13, 2:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you cannot modify the server name without going through a rename process ifrst.  If the server has already been configured with one URI, it cannot be changed without performing a server rename procedure first.  Hope it helps.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dave Evans commented Apr 04 '14, 1:06 p.m.

Though this question is almost a year old, I felt like I needed to provide a complete answer to this. Melanie asked specifically if she could redirect users to the full url. While you should never change the server name of JTS, you can always perform a redirect to allow for a simpler URL. I would recommend is this:

Create a new DNS Alias to a new web page

Have the new webpage redirect (permanent) to the original full URL

This is not a server rename, but it enables an effective "shortcut" to the lengthly URL you may have originally set up. We have a standalone network where the original administrators did not grasp web hosting principles. The Public URI is over 30 characters long, and even includes the port number (horrible!!!). Since I could not fix their poor setup, I created a very short URL which has a permanent redirect to the full URL. Works great!

5 other answers

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered May 07 '13, 3:06 p.m.

Hi Melanie,

If your CLM applications are already in use or the CLM Setup process has already completed then what Benjamin has said is absolutely true.

Considering this is a new deployment or just a plan, you can create a DNS alias to mask the underlying infrustructure and make the deployment server agnostic which will be of great use if you have to move the application server to a different machine in the future.

permanent link
Andrew Codrington (17733135) | answered May 08 '13, 9:59 a.m.
Answers above are focused on server rename, but I'm not sure that is really what the question is about.

There are likely other considerations to map requests to appropriate "/ccm" or "/rrc" folders but I believe that a basic DNS redirect (301 or similar) is what is proposed by Melanie and I believe that it should work fine.

e.g.
- User types "jazz" into the address bar
- Browser/OS looks up "jazz" in corporate DNS and get a redirect to "original_jts_hostname.yourdomain.com"

Full disclosure: I'm not the guy who actually configures this stuff, I just wave my hands around and smart people do the real work.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 18 '22, 10:50 a.m.

For all I know such a redirect would usually require to do a server rename, ideally to the fully qualified domain name. The same, if you wanted to change the port. It is at least worth considering.  

permanent link
vijay panari (5211118) | answered Jun 05 '17, 2:18 a.m.

Hi David,
As per your comment on dated Apr 04 '14, 1:06 p.m.  it is possible URL redirect using DNS.

I need help from your end. how to redirect URL to original URL using DNS.
e.g.  CLM application URL- https://xyz:9443/ccm/web  and  i will provide URL- https://clm.ibm.com/ccm/web  to user.

another e.g.
- User types "jazz" into the address bar
- Browser/OS looks up "jazz" in corporate DNS and get a redirect to "original_jts_hostname.yourdomain.com" Please provide some steps how we can redirect URL through DNS.

Thanks
Vijay Panari

permanent link
Philips Reyes (111) | answered Nov 18 '22, 10:03 a.m.
edited Nov 18 '22, 1:21 p.m.

I'm not sure if the query is truly about server renaming, as suggested in the answers above. There are probably more factors to take into account when mapping requests to the proper "/ccm" or "/rrc" directories, but Melanie's suggestion of a straightforward DNS redirect (301 or something like) seems like it should work just well.

For instance, when a user writes "jazz" into the address bar, Htaccess Redirect Generator their browser or operating system looks it up in the company DNS and sends them to "original jts hostname.yourdomain.com." To be quite honest, I don't configure this things; instead, I merely wave my hands around and let the skilled folks handle the hard job.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 18 '22, 10:47 a.m.
We do not discuss just a web page with news here. Or, what browsers do or don't.

The products we discuss on this site: https://jazz.net/products have a special characteristics, that requires the URL they get in the initial setup to stay constant and not get changed. If they absolutely have to, then it is required to perform a special lengthy process called server rename that replaces the prefix of the old URL's with the new prefix based ion the fully qualified domain name of the new server.   

permanent link
Nick Marmolejo (361) | answered Dec 14 '22, 12:00 p.m.

I have not heard anyone mention the possibility of setting up an IBM Reverse Proxy (IHS) server. This will be more work but better for future planning. Using IHS you can point the DNS to IHS and have IHS perform the redirect to the fully qualified hosts/contexts.

Just putting it out there as another option.

Comments
David Honey commented Dec 14 '22, 12:35 p.m. | edited Dec 14 '22, 12:37 p.m.

See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/StandardTopologiesOverview for a discussion of topologies and use of IHS proxies. One of the goals of using proxies is to use public URIs that are independent of phsyical machines so that the URIs are stable over time and that server rename is not needed.