It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Redirect to full url with DNS change

Melanie Dixon (1111) | asked May 07 '13, 12:15 p.m.
retagged Jun 12 '17, 4:21 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

I am asked to put in a change to the DNS and have http://jazz redirect users to our full URL for the jts server login.

Are there any concerns with doing this?

4 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k69) | answered May 07 '13, 2:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you cannot modify the server name without going through a rename process ifrst.  If the server has already been configured with one URI, it cannot be changed without performing a server rename procedure first.  Hope it helps.

Comments
David Evans commented Apr 04 '14, 1:06 p.m.

Though this question is almost a year old, I felt like I needed to provide a complete answer to this. Melanie asked specifically if she could redirect users to the full url. While you should never change the server name of JTS, you can always perform a redirect to allow for a simpler URL. I would recommend is this:

Create a new DNS Alias to a new web page

Have the new webpage redirect (permanent) to the original full URL

This is not a server rename, but it enables an effective "shortcut" to the lengthly URL you may have originally set up. We have a standalone network where the original administrators did not grasp web hosting principles. The Public URI is over 30 characters long, and even includes the port number (horrible!!!). Since I could not fix their poor setup, I created a very short URL which has a permanent redirect to the full URL. Works great!

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered May 07 '13, 3:06 p.m.

Hi Melanie,

If your CLM applications are already in use or the CLM Setup process has already completed then what Benjamin has said is absolutely true.

Considering this is a new deployment or just a plan, you can create a DNS alias to mask the underlying infrustructure and make the deployment server agnostic which will be of great use if you have to move the application server to a different machine in the future.

permanent link
Andrew Codrington (17733135) | answered May 08 '13, 9:59 a.m.
Answers above are focused on server rename, but I'm not sure that is really what the question is about.

There are likely other considerations to map requests to appropriate "/ccm" or "/rrc" folders but I believe that a basic DNS redirect (301 or similar) is what is proposed by Melanie and I believe that it should work fine.

e.g.
- User types "jazz" into the address bar
- Browser/OS looks up "jazz" in corporate DNS and get a redirect to "original_jts_hostname.yourdomain.com"

Full disclosure: I'm not the guy who actually configures this stuff, I just wave my hands around and smart people do the real work.

permanent link
vijay panari (52416) | answered Jun 05 '17, 2:18 a.m.

Hi David,
As per your comment on dated Apr 04 '14, 1:06 p.m.  it is possible URL redirect using DNS.

I need help from your end. how to redirect URL to original URL using DNS.
e.g.  CLM application URL- https://xyz:9443/ccm/web  and  i will provide URL- https://clm.ibm.com/ccm/web  to user.

another e.g.
- User types "jazz" into the address bar
- Browser/OS looks up "jazz" in corporate DNS and get a redirect to "original_jts_hostname.yourdomain.com" Please provide some steps how we can redirect URL through DNS.

Thanks
Vijay Panari

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.