It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Inconsistent behaviour of Work Item Attachment link from Windows 7

Amit Punpale (1244) | asked May 07 '13, 11:35 a.m.

Hi,

We are using RTC 3.0.1.1.

Our Developers attach artifacts related to their work items from web interface.

When the developers work on XP it works fine - they upload the attachment from their local or shared drive, the attachments are uploaded and other users can have a look if they want to.

However we started seeing discrepancy in this behaviour when we recently started testing the RTC web interface from a Windows 7 machine.

We saw that when we upload the attachment from windows 7 machine's local drive, it does not physically import the file, it instead copied the link as below (e.g. attachment id 755224 and 755218) -

Attachment as link

However if we attach file from a shared drive, it uploads the file on the server (e.g. Attachment ID 753754 above).

This is an important issue as, if the link is displayed in attachment, it will not be accessible if someone physically deletes or moves the file from the destination.

Kindly let us know how can we fix it at our end.

Regards,

Amit

4 answers

permanent link
Amit Punpale (1244) | answered May 08 '13, 5:29 a.m.

Please read it as

"However it seems that we have restricted admin rights on the new Windows 7 machines. This doesnt allow us to change the security settings in the browser. "

permanent link
Amit Punpale (1244) | answered May 08 '13, 5:19 a.m.

Hi Josh,

Yes we are using IE8. However it seems that we do not have restricted admin rights on the new Windows 7 machines. This doesnt allow us to change the security changes in the browser.

Though as Guido has pointed earlier, Firefox works fine. We will test this issue with IE9 to see if it has been resolved.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Amit

Comments
Josh Crawford commented May 08 '13, 6:09 a.m.

Hi Amit,  this is a setting that for whatever reason seems to frequently be a something that is controlled by a companies administrator via a group policy object or something similar.   I suspect IE9 will have similar results as IE8.  It would be best to work with your IT staff to have them allow you to change that setting.

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered May 07 '13, 12:33 p.m.
 Hi Amit,  Are you using IE for this?  If so I believe you are running into the following issue:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21626285

I ran a quick test and verified that setting works for UNC paths as well as mapped drives. 

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered May 07 '13, 12:11 p.m.
We also saw this, but only with Internet Explorer. Firefox and Chrome are working well.

I have NOT filed a defect yet. Maybe you do.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.