It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What determines a valid external link on a dashboard?

Dustin Cote (2844) | asked May 03 '13, 1:41 p.m.
I'm trying to post an external link on the dashboard, but I get rejected with the message "The value entered is not valid" in the URL box.  I'm trying to enter this URL --> http://vortex.svl.ibm.com/sdiweb/index.php?q=node/171/ which is indeed valid.  In fact, even posting to this forum, I cannot link to that URL and I receive the same message.  I get this in IE and FireFox both.  Anyone have an idea why this URL is considered invalid?  I see that it is valid up to the point where I put a '/' after 'node' then it tells me that it is invalid.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered May 03 '13, 3:40 p.m.
This is a defect, we reported and discussed in

Defect 249120: [Editor]: URL is not accepted as valid in Link Properties

The implementation is based on an outdated RFC. There is a workaround described in the work item

Dustin Cote selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Dustin Cote (2844) | answered May 03 '13, 1:51 p.m.
I found a workaround, but it's kind of ridiculous.  I created the external link in a work item (where it was apparently valid) and gave it the description I wanted.  Then I copied this link to the dashboard and it worked just fine.  When I try to edit the link it still says that the URL is invalid.  It's working, but it is just a little weird.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.