It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Visual Studio shows "Getting Resource Properties" each time when I select a file or open a solution. This takes time

Danny Beerens (801827) | asked May 03 '13, 5:16 a.m.
 Hi all,

My team has a Visual Studio 2010 environment (incl. Resharper). They've recently switched from ClearCase to RTC. Now in RTC each time when they open a solution file, or select a file in the Solution Explorer, the Visual Studio status bar shows "Getting Resource Properties". For large files this can take a bit of time.
What settings must I check to avoid this.

Regards,
       Danny

Comments
Danny Beerens commented May 03 '13, 5:18 a.m. | edited May 03 '13, 5:21 a.m.

The team is running a RTC pilot. The fact that this takes up more time then when the team was working in ClearCase, seriously inhibits the acceptance of the RTC environment. 

Michael Prentice commented May 03 '13, 12:29 p.m.

I'm assuming that this isn't just due to network bandwidth/latency?

If this is a critical issue, you should contact support if you are using a paid version of RTC. I wasn't able to find anyone else having this issue on Google search.

I am not able to reproduce this on VS 2012 w/ RTC 4.0.1. What version of RTC are you using?

Can you post a screenshot of this message? We're not using Resharper, but I'm not even seeing that message appear for me, ever, even with the Properties window open.

Danny Beerens commented May 14 '13, 5:06 a.m.

Hi Michael,

We're using  VS 2012 w/ RTC 4.0.1 too. The problem is that some of my colleagues experience the same problem, but others don't. We're unable to find the differences in installation and settings of VS 2012 w/ RTC 4.0.1 to explain the differences.

Regards,
     Danny

Aaron Chorpenning commented Dec 23 '13, 3:47 p.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:51 p.m.

I see this occurring when I open a solution and try to build it. I don't have the properties window open. I have version 4.0.5. It seems like it goes through all the files within the project. I don't recall this happening on any other projects and definitely not within ClearCase integration.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sreerupa Sen commented Jan 02 '14, 11:53 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:52 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Aaron,

Would you please log a defect, and attach your log files (trace level Info) when this happens? Visual Studio fetches properties of files at different times, and whenever it fetches properties, the RTC plugin gets enabled for the RTC specific properties and you see that message. We'd like to try figure out what exactly is happening in your environment.
Cheers
--Rupa

Aaron Chorpenning commented Jan 02 '14, 11:57 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:52 p.m.

I would be glad to help out as much as I can, but I do not know how to gather a log file. How do I get those or turn that on? I just do a project clean, a project rebuild, or a project open. What do I need to do?

Prabodh Mairh commented Jan 07 '14, 2:13 a.m.

Tracing can be turned on from the "Team Concert->Windows->Team Concert Logs" window. Please change the "Log Level" to "Verbose" and then run your operation. It also contains an option to save log files. 

Aaron Chorpenning commented Jan 07 '14, 9:38 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:53 p.m.

Thank you I am running the process now and I will create a defect with the log file attached.

Aaron Chorpenning commented Jan 07 '14, 10:25 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:53 p.m.

I am either going to the wrong place or don't have permission to submit a defect. I am going here...

https://jazz.net/mystuff/#tab=workitems&page=opened

I am trying to submit a bug for RTC, but when I click on the button I am getting an error that states...

You are not authorized to view this page.

CRJAZ2676I Details about the error were written to the log file. To find this data, search the log file for this identifier: 4c36d7b3-3631-451f-9a3c-7ecdaf38591e. Root cause: CRJAZ1394E The "chorpeac" user ID cannot connect to the repository because it is not assigned to a repository group that has permissions to access the repository.

Prabodh Mairh commented Jan 08 '14, 12:33 a.m.

Aaron Chorpenning commented Jan 08 '14, 10:53 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:53 p.m.

Same error...

CRJAZ2676I Details about the error were written to the log file. To find this data, search the log file for this identifier: ee60745a-ccb8-48d3-999f-44ed0d9de04b. Root cause: CRJAZ1394E The "chorpeac" user ID cannot connect to the repository because it is not assigned to a repository group that has permissions to access the repository.

Prabodh Mairh commented Jan 09 '14, 5:58 a.m.

There seems to be a permission issue with this user Id. I have dropped a mail to webmaster@jazz.net, they should be able to add the required permissions.

Priyadarshini Gorur commented Jan 13 '14, 4:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Aaron, were you able to submit a defect on jazz.net?

Aaron Chorpenning commented Jan 13 '14, 9:27 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:54 p.m.

Negative, I am still getting a message like...

CRJAZ2676I Details about the error were written to the log file. To find this data, search the log file for this identifier: aa34183c-39e7-4bb8-9476-71463a6fb159. Root cause: CRJAZ1394E The "chorpeac" user ID cannot connect to the repository because it is not assigned to a repository group that has permissions to access the repository.

Prabodh Mairh commented Jan 14 '14, 5:57 a.m.

Hi Aaron, we are still trying to get the permission issue sorted out for your account. Will keep you posted.

Shilpa Toraskar (IBM) commented Jan 14 '14, 11:33 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Aaron,
Your permissions should be all sorted out now. For some reason, your account was not in the correct group.
Please give it a try again.

Aaron Chorpenning commented Jan 14 '14, 11:44 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:55 p.m.

Yes I have permission to submit a defect now. I will put all the information together and submit.

Additionally, my coworker experiences the same thing, but his processes much faster than mine...

showing 5 of 17 show 12 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 30 '14, 8:50 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This was submitted as work item Visual Studio and "Getting Resource Properties" when performing certain actions within VS (297923) .
It is marked as "fixed in 5.0".   See the work item for details, to see if this sounds like what you might be running into.
Danny Beerens selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Danny Beerens commented Feb 09 '15, 7:06 a.m.

Tested RTC 5.0.1 in our validation evironment, disabled the RTC_VS_DISABLE_PROP_INT, so the properties are shown.

For the tests I did, no latency found. Thanks!

2 other answers

permanent link
Chris Carroll (6) | answered Aug 28 '14, 3:39 p.m.
 I am using RTC client 4.0.5. This is what fixed this problem for me and my colleagues:
Create an environment variable called RTC_VS_DISABLE_PROP_INT with the value true.
(Control Panel -> Advanced system settings -> System Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables)
Reboot.

Comments
Danny Beerens commented Feb 09 '15, 7:05 a.m.

Using the mentioned environment variable RTC_VS_DISABLE_PROP_INT works, as a workaround: it leaves the properties view unshown.

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered May 04 '13, 11:41 p.m.
 Hi Danny,
    Jazz Properties are integrated into the Properties View, and Visual Studio (not RTC) fetches that and all other file properties every time you open a file or a solution. Have you noticed it being faster for smaller files? I'll check with my team but properties and file size should not really be related. 

We don't have a way to turn off the properties integration at the moment- you could open an enhancement request on jazz.net. The other thing you could try is to close the Properties view and see if it improves the situation.

Do you see the same type of delay for all types of files? Or does it depend on file types?

Which version of RTC are you using?
Cheers
--Rupa
RTC Client Integrations

Comments
Danny Beerens commented May 14 '13, 5:08 a.m.

Hi Sreerupa,

We're using  VS 2012 w/ RTC 4.0.1. Disabling the Properties view does seem to have a positive effect.
The problem is that some of my colleagues experience the same problem, but others don't. We're unable to find the differences in installation and settings of VS 2012 w/ RTC 4.0.1 to explain the differences.
Could it be a difference in used JDE?

Regards,
     Danny 

Sreerupa Sen commented May 20 '13, 4:29 a.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:52 p.m.

Hi Danny,

It should not have anything to do with Java Development Environment. If you set your trace level to Info, open an work item on jazz.net and add the trace logs for a) users for whom it takes time and b) users we don't, we can try to analyze the logs to see if we come up with anything.

Cheers
--Rupa

MIchael Dykstra commented May 30 '14, 2:41 p.m. | edited May 30 '14, 8:56 p.m.

I have the same problem, and with my very large solution, I can end up waiting several hours.  Is there a way for me to check the status of the defect opened by Aaron Chorpenning?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.