It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Add a query to editor presentation

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked May 01 '13, 2:50 p.m.

Is it possible to add a query to a work item type editor presentation somehow?  I'm trying to display some information (a list of 2 custom fields) about the children on the display of the parent work item.

If there is a way to do this somehow, is there a way to automatically pass the ID of the current work item the query is being run from?  Or to ask the querry to consider all children of the current work item?

Comments
Clement Liu commented May 02 '13, 4:52 a.m.

Hi Mike,

This would require extensive custom development? Are you familiar with RTC client and server extension? Why would you want to display children work item on their parent?

Thanks.

Michael Taylor commented May 02 '13, 10:21 a.m.

Thanks for the comment.  I am not familiar with RTC client and server extension.  But are you saying either way it would require a lot of custom development?

The reason why I want to display certain children work item attributes on the parent is we are essentially using children work items to store a list of name and value pairs for the parent work item.  I couldn't find any kind of a standard attribute that would do that for us on a work item (do you have any ideas?).  Our business process often leads us to read that list when we are viewing the parent item.

Clement Liu commented May 02 '13, 8:13 p.m.

Yes, it would require a lot of custom development in either way. 

Given your requirements, wouldn't it better to add custom attributes to the parent work item type for the list of name value pairs so that you can read the list directly on the parent work item?

Michael Taylor commented Jun 07 '13, 1:01 p.m.

Thank you for your question.  That is what I originally wanted to do.  But we couldn't determine an available attribute type to create a list of name and value pairs on the parent.  Are you aware of such an attribute type that would serve the purpose of representing one to many rows of name and value pairs?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 09 '13, 5:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 In addition, there is no attribute type that can display pairs of values. You could use a string list and encode values there. http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ shows how you can access values in parent/child work items.

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered May 22 '13, 11:46 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michael,
Clement is correct. This type of configuration is not available out of the box. I recommend you open up an Enhancement request for this feature, otherwise, you would need to customize this feature.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.