It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team specific work item types

Anatoliy Khludov (32613) | asked Apr 30 '13, 4:06 p.m.
Hello,
In my project area I have two teams and two work item types. Would it be possible to configure it the way that each team would only see and be able to create only one work item type and not the other? For instance I have Team1 and Team2 and Defect and Task work item types. So the goal is to make Team1 to be able to see ( and create ) Defects only in RTC client and Team2 to see the Tasks only.
Thanks,
Anatoliy

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 30 '13, 5:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 30 '13, 5:47 p.m.
You can control who can create work items of a specific set of types in a role-based way ... i.e. you can have a task-creator role, and assign that to the people that are allowed to create tasks, and a defect-creator role, and assign that to the people that are allowed to create defects.
You also can control who can see existing work items, by indicating that work items assigned to a particular team should only be visible to members of that team.
But I am not aware of any out-of-the-box way of hiding the existence of a particular work item type from just some teams in a project area but not others.
Anatoliy Khludov selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Anatoliy Khludov (32613) | answered Apr 30 '13, 8:31 p.m.
Thanks Geoffrey, Sam and Indradri for your answers! This pretty much confirms the behavior that I'm seeing. I just wanted to have as much isolation as possible between teams in one project to avoid confusion.

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 30 '13, 4:44 p.m.
It seems there is no direct way to restrict a whole work item type but you can try either by Restricted Access presentation or by creating WorkItem Categories to restrict access to work items.

Although not tested, but you may try to combine workitem categories and use calculated value script to automatically fill the FiledAgainst attribute depending on the workitem.Type

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 30 '13, 4:39 p.m.
workitems are project wide.

you can limit visibility by team but its ALL workitems for a team..
team A can't see Team B's work, and vice versa.. but its ALL workitems

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.