It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can we prevent deletion of specific stream snaphots while allowing deletion of other snapshots?

Martin McAuley (1721533) | asked Apr 29 '13, 7:35 a.m.
We wish to secure snapshots that correspond to formal releases e.g. 1.0.0 etc, but want to be able to delete other snapshots created by a continuous integration build. Our users therefore need permission to delete snapshots but we want to prevent accidental deletion of the formal release snapshots.

2 answers

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered Apr 29 '13, 9:26 a.m.
 Hi Martin,  at this time the only way of managing this that I am aware of is via the project area permissions.  At this time this grants the users the ability to delete all snapshots or none at all.  There was some confusing terminology in the permissions page for this setting,  this is being resolved via defect 251051 in RTC 4.0.3.

Keep in mind that the 'deleted' snapshot never really goes away.  It's just disassociated with the stream or workspace. See the following infocenter link. 

Comments
Martin McAuley commented Apr 29 '13, 9:45 a.m.

Hi Josh, thanks for the feedback but the info link is for version 3 and we are on 4.0.0.1 and the info now states that a deleted snapshot is deleted from the repository - see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_promote_delete_snapshot.html

Josh Crawford commented Apr 29 '13, 10:50 a.m.

Hi Martin,  I didn't check the 4.x infocenter,  looks like they changed that between releases.  

KrishnaKanth Naik commented Apr 29 '13, 11:50 p.m. | edited Apr 29 '13, 11:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nice info @jcrawford.

I am not an expert on this topic, but found this post interesting, as there are many people asking for ways to delete the unwanted contents from the repository.

One of the friends in sales just asked me if there is any alternative to this in 3.0.1.x, so I just dug a bit, seeking what other related changes went with this change in feature, and found that it was actually a documentation defect in 3.0, which has been fixed in 3.0.1.

Corrected info in 3.0.1:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_promote_delete_snapshot.html
Documentation defect:
3.0.1 Documentation (correction, update) "Promoting or deleting snapshots" (156851)

permanent link
Winston Enos (33116) | answered Jun 08 '13, 5:08 p.m.
Martin,

Assuming the permissions work as they are described in the Project's Process Configuration you would have have either a manual build step in your release process (or automated in the build steps using the SCM CLI 'snapshot promote' command) where you switch the Owner of the snapshot to the stream, and you only allow certain roles to create/delete snapshots that belong to the stream.

Do not promote/change-Owner of the snapshot to the stream for simple snapshots, such as the ones for your continuous integration builds, and keep them allocated to the workspace that does the continuous integration build. That should allow users, if you've allowed them in Process Configuration, to delete them.

The real fix to this (in my opinion) rests on the RTC team adding a lock to a snapshot to prevent it from being deleted no matter where it lives, which it looks like they have backlog'ed: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=74775

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.