It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Simplest way to create a new work item type

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked Apr 26 '13, 2:42 p.m.

I am trying to create a very simple work item type to store two custom enumerated fields (name and version number).  In a different question/answer, it was suggested to retain the following standard fields: State, Resolution, and Summary.  In any case, the goal is to create the simplest possible type of work item that requires the minimum data entry to create and does not have to be touched again to close, etc.

I have been following https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_customizing_work_items.html and https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_defining_types.html.

My question is what is the simplest way to create this new work item type?  Should I copy from an existing type or create new?  Do I have to go through all the binding steps, etc. or is there a better way?  Keep in mind that I actually want a much simpler type of work item than most of the standard/existing types of items.

I am new to team concert so any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

One answer

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 26 '13, 3:04 p.m.
Hi Mike, I would probably think first what type of project management approach my project needs to follow and based on that I might select Scrum or Formal project management template. These templates are supplied with bare minimum attributes/fields that most of our customer need to start with. If you need more simpler template, then you can start with Simple Team Process template as this is more lighter. I would suggest that you may want to get your hands dirty and do some customizations over the Simple team process template to create your own, if none of the predefined templates are appropriate. Lastly you can start with Unconfigured template which is blank and you can add attributes and presentation the way you want.
Hope this helps!

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Apr 26 '13, 3:22 p.m.

Thank you.  This does help some.   It sounds like you are suggesting that it is easier to modify an existing type than it is to create a new type.  If true, the challenge I am having is that I have selected the “Formal project management template” and believe that my team will need to use most if not all of those pre-defined types.  So I need to add another type in addition to those.   Given that, what is the simplest way for me to go about that?  If you suggest that I should copy an existing type, which one of the “Formal project management template” types has the smallest number of fields that I should copy from?  Is it safe for me to remove fields from the copied type?

Indradri Basu commented Apr 28 '13, 1:21 p.m.

I am not aware of a way where you can copy just a work item type. For your custom work item type, in the process configuration, you have to add a work item type followed by a workflow, attributes and presentations as you need and this also removes the complexity of removing fields. And yes, fields/attributes like Filed Against, Creation date etc are better not to be removed as they are expected by other components or functional areas. I would suggest to look at Customizing Workitems and I find this fairly simple unless you want complex validations or automation in place.
Hope this helps a bit more...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.