It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Usage of Project Area and Project

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked Apr 26 '13, 1:28 p.m.

I have reviewed the following from the online glossary.  With that being said, what is the difference between a project and a project area?  Why would I want to use one versus the other?

project

A temporary endeavor or initiative created and managed to achieve an organization's objectives.
project area
The representation of a software project on the system. The project area defines the project deliverable, team structure, process, and schedule.

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Apr 29 '13, 11:34 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For a good overview of the concepts and how to really use and adopt RTC, check out the RTC Deployment Guide for RTC 3.x, and the CLM 2012 Deployment Guide   they are similar, but have a different way of attacking the same question, i.e. how do I use Jazz most effectively.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Apr 26 '13, 4:52 p.m.
Well, one can't create a Project in RTC; just Project Area.  In fact v3 changed the moniker to Process Area (at least at the back end) The Project Area, once created, contains
  • Role Definitions
  • Access Control (who may have visibility the Project Area)
  • Project / Team Permissions for each Role
  • Time lines, Iterations their Plans
  • Work item definitions (attributes, work flow and presentations)
  • Members of both the Project Area and any Teams
  • Streams for delivery of Project source
  • Repository workspaces for Project development
  • Build Definitions, Build Engines and Build Records
In fact, a Project Area may contain the work effort for many Projects.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 26 '13, 8:26 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'd suggest parsing the term "project area" as "an area in the repository where information about one or more software projects is stored".  I've submitted work item The Glossary definition of "Project Area" is misleading (262775) requesting that the current glossary definition of project area be corrected.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.