It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Create a work item from Welcome To Work Items Page

David Beange (111356100) | asked Apr 25 '13, 9:17 a.m.

In RTC V3.0.1.4

On the "Welcome to Work Items" page when you select the "Create a work item" option what in the configuration dictates which work item type this links to and opens for creation? On my projects areas it does not display a list of available work items but opens with a Defect or Test Case depending on the process configuratio used. I'd like to identify what controls this to hopefully allow me to set me chosen work item type as the defaut to be opened.

One answer

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 25 '13, 6:01 p.m.
edited Apr 25 '13, 6:03 p.m.
Hi David,
You are right, this is controlled by the process configuration. Assuming you have rights to edit the process configuration, from the eclipse client, right click > Open  the project area where you want to implement this and navigate to the Process Configuration Source tab.
Under <project-configuration> --> <data> --> <configuration-data> you will see all the work item type ids are listed under <type category...> tag.
By default, the first one is Defect if it exists. Suppose you want to choose Task as the default work item type instead of the Defect, you can cut and paste the whole <type category> tag (till the </type> end tag) and put it as the first one under the <configuration-data> tag. Save the process template and try creating the work item from the "Welcome to Work Items" page.

Comments
Indradri Basu commented Apr 25 '13, 6:05 p.m.

Forgot to mention, I tried this on 4.0.2 and not sure if the tags will be same in 3.01.x

Anthony Kesterton commented Apr 25 '13, 6:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You are also able to change the work item type as you enter the details of the new work item.  Not as neat as the suggestion above - but an approach I use when creating enhancement requests here on jazz.net as I normally hit the "Create a defect" button to bring up a new work item quickly.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.