It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4/RRC 4: how to link a work item to a requirement collection?

Frank Ning (50025119133) | asked Apr 24 '13, 10:06 p.m.
Hello,

It seems that the link from a RTC work item to a requirement collection is disabled (greyed out). I may have a case that a work item is for a collection of features to implement and corresponds to a requirement collection.

How may I create a link in RTC work item to a requirement collection in RRC?

Thanks and regards

Frank

Comments
Lily Wang commented Apr 25 '13, 2:09 a.m.

Hi, from document https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_calm_assoc_jazz.html you can only link requirement collection or module to a RTC plan. You can not link it to a work item.

Frank Ning commented Apr 25 '13, 5:46 a.m.

Hi Lily,

Sounds like by design. I would argue if it is a good design or not. Users need the flexibility to be able to link a collection to a work item like Story or Epic.

I would like to hear from Rational Team to see whether it is reasonable to open a feature enhancement request.

David Retzler commented Mar 09 '15, 7:16 p.m. | edited Mar 09 '15, 9:08 p.m.

Is there any new information on the possibility for this feature?  My client has this exact need - to be able to link a Collection directly to an RTC work item (i.e., not to the RTC Plan).  There will be multiple Collections for any given RTC Plan.  Just the link is what's needed (i.e., the ability to create plan items in RTC for all the requirements in the collection is not important here).

3 answers

permanent link
Jason Warner (1063) | answered Apr 25 '13, 9:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Frank,

I can't find some way to mark Lily's comment as the actual answer, but I want to reiterate that the behavior you are asking about is currently unsupported based on information provided in the documentation (https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_calm_assoc_jazz.html).  I think the case you propose was probably not considered when implementing this feature.  Feel free to open an enhancement request so the dev team can consider the behavior change you are proposing.

Thanks,
Jason

Comments
Shirley Jhirad commented Mar 10 '14, 11:23 a.m.
Hi,

Any Plans to Implement this?

This is a reasonable request, as a new feature request starts as a work item in RTC backlog and in a later step is detailed as RRC module is written for the new request.
The way to do it now is to create a new artifact which does not contain much data and link it from one side to the RTC work item and from the other side to the module\collection. am i correct?

Thanks,

Shirley

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Apr 25 '13, 9:30 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Frank there is a way to support your approach, but it requires one level of indirection.

Create a "landing document" or "proxy document" (or whatever you want to call it) in the RM system.  Link it to the work item. In the "landing document" provide a summary of what it is, and include a link in the document to the collection.

If the collection is not too large, you can even embed the collection into the document; the RM system will embed it with mini-page controls within the embedded artifact, and links to the individual artifacts in the collection will be live.  You can interact with one of these embedded collections in this terminology doc in our RM self-host: 2944: $$ Summary - Selected Guidance

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 09 '15, 9:11 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is an Enhancement request to support this use case: Define a cross-application Impacts link type (345885)
Please feel free to indicate your support with a comment and/or your vote on that work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.