It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Flowing changes from multiple streams

Anders Truelsen (16212020) | asked Apr 24 '13, 8:02 a.m.
We have a PA with a number of solutions sharing a set of common resources; logging, testdrivers etc.
Each shared resource has its own component.

Each solution consist of a component with its unique code and a number of shared resources.

All changes made to a shared component in one solution should flow to the other solutions effortlessly.

I can build a repo workspace with the desired set of components, flowing to the respective streams.
But I don't want every developer to have to cook her own workspace, the information should be stored in the stream and be shared by all who create a workspace from that stream.

How should I create my stream hierarchy to achieve this?

2 answers

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Apr 25 '13, 4:02 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Anders,
    Do all the shared components flow to the same stream? We have something similar in the Windows Shell/VS Clients. They share a bunch of common code, which we flow to a common stream. The client specific code flows to individual streams. So for say the Shell Client, what I typically do is create a repository workspace that flows to the common stream. Then add the shell specific components from the Shell specific stream, and continue flowing those components to that stream. Duplicating that workspace and then changing the owner to others in the team makes the others in the team have the same configuration.
   Would that work?
Cheers
--Rupa

Comments
Anders Truelsen commented Apr 30 '13, 4:46 a.m.

Hi Sreerupa

Our setup is just as you described it and a template workspace would do the job for us.

I did try duplicating an existing workspace with the desired flow configured,  but while the new workspace had all the components in place the flow wasn't quite as I had hoped for.
All components would flow against the workspace's default flow target.

Further if I make the duplicate in VS, the new duplicate workflow would flow its changes against the duplicated workspace rather than the stream the duplicated workspace was flowing against, rather odd. 

Using scoped flow target in conjunction with duplicate makes things even more confusing. I'll see if I can find time for a detailed investigation and post the result as a work item.

regards
/anders

Sreerupa Sen commented May 03 '13, 5:41 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Anders,

Great please subscribe me to the work item when you create it. As for the duplicate workspace - it's been fixed in the latest release.
Cheers
--Rupa

permanent link
Sonia Dimitrov (27159) | answered Apr 24 '13, 10:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Anders,

it sounds like you may achieve this result by creating one additional stream (let's call it "SS") that contains the full set of components from the various streams.  With a build definition, you could use the "Post-build Deliver" feature to push changes for the individual components in the build workspace to SS.  Users could then create their workspace off SS and have latest changes.  This article describes this in more detail:  https://jazz.net/library/article/649/#Example_postBuildDeliver.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.