It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

WebSphere Update installer - greyed out on a package that is not installed yet

Liviu Ionescu (13223) | asked Apr 19 '13, 8:34 p.m.
Hi, 

We have a situation where we need to update the WAS 7.0 Embedded package with RAM 7.5.1.2 to Fix Pack 25. We are unable to check the WAS 7.0 Fix Pack 25 package that we placed in the maintenance folder, as the Update Installer thinks that the FP 25 package has been installed. We have verified the version of the eWas7 installed package and it still shows Fix Pack 21. We were able to install just fine the JDK FIX Pack 25 associated with the eWAS FP25.

How do we resolve this situation? Any help would be much appreciated.

6 answers

permanent link
Liviu Ionescu (13223) | answered Apr 24 '13, 1:44 a.m.
 For everyone interested: after opening the PMR for this issues, the IBM WebSphere support engineer who called me, provided us with the resolution spot on. Here are steps we took to fix the problem:
1.  set all WebSphere-related services to "manual" start                
2.  restarted the windows server                                        
3.  edited the ..\AppServer\properties\version\nif\backup\NIFHistory    
             and  ..\AppServer\properties\version\nif\backup\NIFStack   
     removed the EWAS FP25 records from these files                     
4.  successfully installed the EWAS FP25 using the UpdateInstalletr     
5.  verified the install by checking the versionInfo results and the    
messages written to the SystemOut.log after restarting the EWAS server. 

It was an easy fix, but would have thought that two files located in a "backup" folder would be the culprit for this issue? Thank you again for responding to my issue.

Comments
Ivy Ho commented Apr 24 '13, 6:36 p.m.

Thank you for sharing.

uma reddy commented May 20 '13, 7:37 p.m. | edited May 20 '13, 7:47 p.m.

Hi Liviu,

Thank you very much for sharing the information, appreciated!

I have a doubt, In step 3, how have you edit NIFHistory and NIF Stack files? I mean to what content and which lines in the files?

Please let me know, i'm seeing the similar kind of issue, where I need your help :)
thank you in advance!

permanent link
Ivy Ho (4711419) | answered Apr 22 '13, 9:27 p.m.

Update installer should only check for websphere specific information.

Karl Weinert has provided a good link about update installer logic.

It will be good to know how update installer determine if a fixpack is already installed.

There is a command getHistoryReport. or historyInfo.bat from the link that Karl has provided.

It will give you some idea of what was going on with the eWAS activities.

You also want to check how many profiles do you have?

under ewas7\profiles

There should be profile1  that is the default profile created

under there, there is a bin directory

Try to check if there are any inconsistency.

You can run the versionInfo.bat as well as  getHistoryReport  or historyInfo.bat  from there.

I hope this helps. :-)

I would recommend you open a PMR to the websphere support team for help.

They have the expertise and may have a quick fix for you. I do not think it is a good idea to fix it yourself as you may have other issues.

Comments
Liviu Ionescu commented Apr 22 '13, 11:02 p.m.

Hi Ivy,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have read the logic link posted by Karl. I decided this morning to open a PMR with IBM support which I did. I provided them already this evening with some logs and files, and just now, added to the case the two files generated by the commands that you have mentioned in your post. Thank you for sharing them with me. I am a newbie at this Rational and WebSphere stuff, so I have quite a lot of learning to do. Hopefully the folks at IBM will be able to find the root cause for us, and help us with the resolution. I will keep the ticket open to post the resolution when we get to it. Thanks again.

Ivy Ho commented Apr 22 '13, 11:48 p.m.

Hi Liviu:

Aren't we  all newbies to a lot of things ? 

It was nice working with you. I am learning a lot from your scenario as well.

It prompted me to open another question. Thank you.

You may want to track that for pre-emptive measures as well :-)

The title is :

can we use Installation manager to update the embedded websphere in Rational Asset manager?

Good luck and keep us posted!

permanent link
Liviu Ionescu (13223) | answered Apr 22 '13, 5:34 p.m.
 Hello,

Thank you to everyone who responded. Here are the details:

1. We upgraded from RAM 7.5.1.1 to RAM 7.5.1.2. The first version came with the embedded webshpere version 7.0.0.21. The initial installation was successful, but after going to [Host]..../ram.setup we got the message that the WAS version needs to be upgraded to 7.0.0.25.

2. 2-3 weeks ago, we installed the Websphere Update Installer, and we attempted to install Fix Pack 25 for WAS but something was giving us a message indicating that the FixPack file placed in the 'maintenance' folder was not the right version, or something similar, so we couldn't do the ewas update at that time. We left it alone, thinking that we'll be able to do the update later, when RAM 7.5.1.2 will be installed.

We tried to do just that, but as you can see in the inserted image below, the field is grayed out, as FixPack has been already installed. However, when running the versioninfo.bat command, it is clear that we are still on 7.0.0.21.

We've uninstalled the WAS Update Installer and re-installed it, removed the directory leftover after the installation, and re-installed back, without any luck.

So, the question is where in eWas or Ram folders can I find that particular information that is showing that FP 7.0.0.25 has been installed, so I can clean it out? Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Update installer Grayed Out

Current ewas version

permanent link
Ivy Ho (4711419) | answered Apr 20 '13, 9:43 p.m.

This should not be a permission issue if you can use update installer to update

the JDK FIX Pack25.The Latest RAM7512 is supposed to come with  embedded WAS 70025 .

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27038228

I just installed one myself, it was embedded WAS 70025

Did you do a fresh install of RAM 7512 or you have upgraded from earlier versions of RAM?

What messages did you see from the installer?

"Mismatched architecture or operating system" or "The product is not applicable"?

permanent link
Ivy Ho (4711419) | answered Apr 20 '13, 8:08 p.m.

If it is the wrong architecture. it will have the information. saying Mismatched Architecture

What platform are you using? windows 7?

Could it be possible that you do not have permission?

If it is window 7 , you may want to invoke the updateinstall  with "Run As administrator".

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Apr 20 '13, 1:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Could be that the FP is for the wrong architecture, such as the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit. Or maybe it is for the wrong OS, or even the wrong product (I tend to find that list of downloads a bit confusing at times)

Another possiblity is that you have an older verrsion of the update installer.

You should be using update installer version 7. I don't think that was the case for some of the earlier WAS 7 fix packs.

Here is some addtional information on the Update Installer Logic that might be helpful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.