It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the rules for work item visibilty in RTC 4.0.1 plans? (This is critical to understanding and correctly using plans.)

jim herron (814327) | asked Apr 19 '13, 1:43 p.m.
 ---------------------------

The rules in RTC 3.0.1 took a bit to tease out, but by inspection, if I my tests were comprehensive, I observed the rules to be as follows:

(1)
The "Planned For" field of a work item must match the plan's iteration, or if viewing the iteration sections of a Release Backlog plan, must match a child iteration of the plan's iteration

(2)
The "Filed Against" field of a work item must be associated with the plan's project/team area, or a child of the plan's project/team area.  If the plan is owned by the project area, all teams on the project timeline are considered children

----------------------------

The rules appear to have changed in 4.0.1.  Again by inspection, if I my tests were comprehensive, I observed the rules to be as follows:

(1) Identical to 3.0.1
The "Planned For" field of a work item must match the plan's iteration, or if viewing the iteration sections of a Release Backlog plan, must match a child iteration of the plan's iteration

(2) Simpler, but with unfortunate consequences
The "Filed Against" field of a work item must be associated with the plan's project/team area

First, I hope to verify that my observations are correct, and if not, be exposed to the real rules

Second, again if my observations are correct, I would like to discuss how the modified rules in 4.0.1 have affected my ability to correctly move work items through the plan hierarchy.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 21 '13, 5:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As I recall, here is the behavior I see in 4.0.2 in the WebUI:
- What items are selected is independent of the plan type.
- You see all work items whose iteration is plan's iteration and whose team area is the plan's team area.
- You see all plan items whose iteration is a child of the plan's iteration and whose team area is a child of the plan's team area
- If you set the "include all items" check box, you see all work items (not just plan items) whose iteration is a child of the plan's iteration and whose team area is a child of the plan's team area.

Planning team: If this is wrong. please post a comment so I can correct this description.

I was seeing different behavior in the Eclipse UI, and submitted a bug report on that.  So in general, if you report unusual behavior, make sure to identify whether you are using the Eclipse UI or the Web UI.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.