It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using Jazz.hub for UML diagrams

Jerry Flatto (11122) | asked Apr 18 '13, 4:49 p.m.

I am planning to use jazz.hub with Rational Team Concert in an academic enviroment to teach undergraduate system analysis and design.  I am a member of IBM's academic initative so I have access to the various software packages.

Looking at the capabilities of RTC, it does not appear to support creating UML diagrams (e.g., activity diagrams, class diagrams, use case diagrams, etc.) but my students can use RTC for project planning and coordination.  Is this correct?

If I need my students to create the various UML diagrams, can my students use Rational Software Architect to create the diagrams and share them via RTC?  If I use RSA, do I need to have it installed on my own server and connected to Jazz.hub? 

Sorry, I am just trying to get a handle on what I need to do.

Thanks.

Jerry

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 21 '13, 6:09 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC is not an IDE, so it can be used to place any kind of file under source control, including files generating by UML-based tools like RSA.   So place the directory that you are storing your RSA files under RTC source control, and you can use RTC to manage your RSA models (and you can use jazz.hub as your RTC repository).   Note that RSA is an Eclipse-based client-side tool, so it is not installed on your server, but rather on each of your clients.  For a server-side UML tool, that would be Design Manager, which as Scott points out, is not yet available on jazz.hub.

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Apr 19 '13, 6:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jerry,

"Looking at the capabilities of RTC, it does not appear to support creating UML diagrams (e.g., activity diagrams, class diagrams, use case diagrams, etc.) but my students can use RTC for project planning and coordination."  Correct.

If you're using RSA to create UML diagrams, it seems like you could generate the diagrams and then attach them to work items in RTC.  I haven't used RSA myself, so I'm not sure how it works. Does RSA need to be attached to a code base? 

Perhaps someone with experience in RSA could post here with additional advice.

permanent link
Scott Cowan (966310) | answered Apr 19 '13, 9:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 19 '13, 3:33 p.m.
Hi Jerry,

Rational Software Architect's jazz.net counterpart is Design Manager.  JazzHub is currently only an RTC install.  Without Design Manager installed at JazzHub, we've found the best alternative is to save the diagram as a *.png file, then check it in and deliver it.  Several RTC components do this today with *.ecore diagrams, but it works the same way for *.emx diagrams.

To discuss the diagram, I'd open a work item, subscribe the interested users and link to the file so people can comment on it.

Scott

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.