It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Create a portable RTC Eclipse client

Leonardo Marzo (24964852) | asked Apr 17 '13, 8:32 a.m.
Hi,

I need to install RTC 4.0 on an existent Eclipse Helios (3.6.2). I know that it is possible; however, what I need is to be able to make it "portable". I don't want all the developers have to install the RTC client in their Eclipse.

When you install RTC client on an existent Eclipse, that Eclipse cannot be used in another computer since it contains paths specific to the computer where it was installed.

Do you know if it is possible to do that? ("migrating" the plugins that the developers has in their Eclipse to the RTC client is not an option)

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Apr 17 '13, 10:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 17 '13, 12:24 p.m.
Would using the P2 plug in be an option?

Update
I just did a quick test and I was able to move and use RTC installed into stand alone eclipse IDE using the P2 plug in.
In case you aren't familiar with the p2 plug in.
Just go to the all downloads page for the version you are using
4.0 all downloads
Search for and download "p2 Install Repository"
Install it using the help -> "install new software"
I think you can leave the P2 repository zipped and choose the  Add-> archive button.
Then browse to the file you downloaded.
If not, unzip it and point to the directory that contains the contents.xml file using the Add-> local button

Leonardo Marzo selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Leonardo Marzo commented Apr 17 '13, 3:42 p.m.

This is what I was looking for, thank you very much

One other answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Apr 17 '13, 9:01 a.m.
Hello,

one solution that I can think of is to have eclipse installed in a shared configuration.
The user-specific part would have to be installed on the user's roaming profile in order to be portable.
Please see the article below for details:
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fmulti_user_installs.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.